[SOLVED] Upgrading motherboard and CPU advice

Apr 21, 2022
Hello all, Tomorrow I am upgrading both my CPU and my motherboard. I have never dealt with cpu or motherboard hardware so I’m a bit nervous. I’m upgrading from Ryzen 1500x to Ryzen 5600 CPU and I’m upgrading from a A320 Asus motherboard to another Asus B450 prime A- II motherboard. On PC part picker it says I will need a certain version of the bios but how am I meant to update it if I have to take all of the components out? This is just one of many things I’m worried about but if anyone has a good video suggestion or just some Do’s and Don’ts that would be appreciated. Also should I look for a full building a new PC guide since I’m probably going to have to take it all apart or do I do things differently since it’s just an upgrade? Thanks for your time

Solution
I would not bother even attempting to boot this system off the 5600. Personally would set it up with the 1500X which is BIOS validated from the first revision BIOS and use it to check/update. Do the update, verify the update, power down, remove old, put in new and should be PBJ time.

Be VERY careful with those CPU in regard to the pins. Don't drop or handle there. Of note, if you are using the included cooler and the original paste that came with it, it is quite common for the CPU to stick to the cooler as you remove it. I have heard many people recommend getting the CPU good and hot with use just before trying to remove the CPU cooler. There are different camps about how to go about it. Some say to wiggle slightly as you pull up. In...
Put the 5600 on the B450 board, hook everything up and see if it boots. If it doesn't, that likely* means the BIOS needs to be updated. If that's the case, good news! You have a guaranteed compatible CPU in the 1500X. Just swap that onto the B450 board, do the BIOS update (to version 3211 or newer), then reinstall the 5600.

Apr 21, 2022
Put the 5600 on the B450 board, hook everything up and see if it boots. If it doesn't, that likely* means the BIOS needs to be updated. If that's the case, good news! You have a guaranteed compatible CPU in the 1500X. Just swap that onto the B450 board, do the BIOS update (to version 3211 or newer), then reinstall the 5600.
Sounds easy enough! Another question, I just watched a video and this guy says to delete and reinstall windows is this necessary for my upgrade? I do not use a hard drive I only use my M.2 SSD

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I would not bother even attempting to boot this system off the 5600. Personally would set it up with the 1500X which is BIOS validated from the first revision BIOS and use it to check/update. Do the update, verify the update, power down, remove old, put in new and should be PBJ time.

Be VERY careful with those CPU in regard to the pins. Don't drop or handle there. Of note, if you are using the included cooler and the original paste that came with it, it is quite common for the CPU to stick to the cooler as you remove it. I have heard many people recommend getting the CPU good and hot with use just before trying to remove the CPU cooler. There are different camps about how to go about it. Some say to wiggle slightly as you pull up. In my own case I just pulled straight up and the whole thing comes out of the socket. You must be very careful about prying the CPU away from the cooler if such happens. You damage/break/bend a pin and it can be a serious issue up to replacement.

edit- in my own opinion, make sure your current OS is tied to your MS account. Since you are changing the motherboard and CPU, I would personally recommend a clean install of OS. Save all your desired data beforehand and make sure you have the keys of any programs you wish to install if such applies.

Solution
Since you're still on AMD, I'd say a full reformat isn't absolutely necessary. It does give you a nice clean slate to start back up from. Eliminates any adware/bloat/junk that may have crept in over the past 6 years. Keep in mind, reformatting will wipe all your data. Back up files before you do this. Afterward, you'll need to reinstall all software.

Other techniques if you don't want to reformate are to run an operation called SysPrep.

There's no harm in trying, best case scenario is that you can skip a step if the board is new enough.
To be fair, BIOS 3211 was Sept 2021 so this board would've had to have been made since then to have any hope of having this new of a BIOS. I agree, the more likely scenario is that you'll need to do the BIOS update first.