Upgrading my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikaelspears

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
Hi, I’m planning on upgrading my motherboard to a better one. My computer system is the Inspiron 531. I don’t want to use the current motherboard I have. At first I wanted to upgrade my AMD processor to a better one. And I didn’t really find any that suited my needs with an AM2 socket. So I found a AM3 processor that I would like to purchase. But to do that I would have to have a AM3 Motherboard. Can you recommend a new motherboard for me that is compatible with my computer that has an AM3 Socket?
Also, can you tell me how can I find a compatible Motherboard myself? Like what is its system requirements and etc. I mean like, to find a new motherboard, what am I looking for in a motherboard to find out if it's compatible with my computer? So that we can speed up the "finding motherboard" process.

Tech Specs
*Window Vista Home Prenium 32-bit
*AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ 2.6GHz, Stepping 2, Socket AM2, L2 Cache: 1024KB
*4 GB RAM
*NVIDIA GTS 450 1GB
*Power Supply 500 Watt

If there is anything else you guys need to know about my computer please tell me. So I can provide you with the information. I really want a new MB so I can get a better Processor.

And if you guys do find something. My gosh, I would love you. And if I can't upgrade my MB...then well...I'm going to cry D;

Thank you for taking your time to reading my problem. ^_^

Solution
If you're migrating from a an AM2 platform it can be cheaper and more efficient to buy a AM2+ MB, as you can then carry over parts like your RAM, and still slot AM3 procs. An AM3 MB would need new RAM.

The 531 uses a micro ATX form-factor for its boards. So if we're looking for a cheap efficient upgrade then:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157204
Should work fine.

The parts in the 531 are fairly standard, so they shouldn't present compatibility issues. Just to be safe with these OEM PSUs, try to find something with around the same wattage as the Proc usually included with the 531, so going close to or over the 95w point for the processor isn't recommended.

edit: What processor are you looking at...

zergesys

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010
If you're migrating from a an AM2 platform it can be cheaper and more efficient to buy a AM2+ MB, as you can then carry over parts like your RAM, and still slot AM3 procs. An AM3 MB would need new RAM.

The 531 uses a micro ATX form-factor for its boards. So if we're looking for a cheap efficient upgrade then:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157204
Should work fine.

The parts in the 531 are fairly standard, so they shouldn't present compatibility issues. Just to be safe with these OEM PSUs, try to find something with around the same wattage as the Proc usually included with the 531, so going close to or over the 95w point for the processor isn't recommended.

edit: What processor are you looking at specifically? I should ask before I give poor advice over incomplete information.

Solution

mikaelspears

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
i think you have answered my question, i saw some processors that were AM3 and 80 watts. . . with that motherboard you linked, it should work. I just got a new computer case, so when i get the motherboard and processor, i will put it in the new case.

If i am scrapping my old motherboard, will i still have access to my files that are on my hard drive? The reason why I ask is because i have vista now, but on the new system, i will install windows 7. . . . will my desktop have everything on it that was on it before?

Status
Not open for further replies.