Upgrading my cpu

w619

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
I need help picking out a cpu but i cant choose, here are my options.

amd64 4000+ san. $140-200

fx55 san. $239

fx57 san. $349

I would do dual core but i was told i needed to upgrade my windows
from xp home edition to xp pro.{i dont know if this is true or not.}

Here is wha i have
ps i dont overclock except for my video card.

Mobo:A8N-VM
Cpu:amd A64 3200+
ram:corsair value select 2gb pc3200 400mhz
psu:ultraVseris 500watt
HDD:maxtor sata 100gb
video: PNY 7900gt

w619

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
so you are saying ill see more of an improvment with a 4800 x2 over an fx-57.

And if i get a dual core do i need to download any patches to make it work right.

I need help picking out a cpu but i cant choose, here are my options.

amd64 4000+ san. $140-200

fx55 san. $239

fx57 san. $349

I would do dual core but i was told i needed to upgrade my windows
from xp home edition to xp pro.{i dont know if this is true or not.}

Here is wha i have
ps i dont overclock except for my video card.

Mobo:A8N-VM
Cpu:amd A64 3200+
ram:corsair value select 2gb pc3200 400mhz
psu:ultraVseris 500watt
HDD:maxtor sata 100gb
video: PNY 7900gt

What do you use your PC for?
The dual cores are great if you do a lot of multitasking.

If you game, going from a 3200+ to say a 3800X2 you won't notice a lot difference at stock speed and you will feel like you wasted your money, you'll want to get up into the 4200X2-4800X2 range. (However you do it, if you are an overclocker, the 3800x2 overclocks pretty well.)

Cross the FX55 and 57 off your list.

XP Home will support Dual CORE CPU's (2 cores on 1 cpu)
It does not support Dual CPU's (2 sockets and 2 cpus)

w619

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
I mostly play games but my quetion still stands if i get the 4800x2 do i need to download any patches if yes what are the patches.

big_tuna

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
both fx cpu's will prob run faster in gaming and single threaded apps because of the higher clock speed 2.6-2.8 versus 2.4. but with the 4800 you will run better when more programs take advantge of the dual cores that are becoming more popular now .the 4800 can be overclocked to the higher speeds but its not that big of a difference in my opinion.there are some dual core patches and also check that the motherboard supports dual core,it may require latest bios upgrade.if you can i would do a fresh install on windows after you upgrade cpu and get all the patches/ updates. hope this helps some,im no expert but thats just what i would do if i just upgraded to dual core

I mostly play games but my quetion still stands if i get the 4800x2 do i need to download any patches if yes what are the patches.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871,00.html

Here is the AMD patch, and you most likely will need to install it.
I would go for a dual core CPU if I were you. They really do just make your PC "feel" much quicker, especially when you do more than 1 thing at a time. The old FX series may be great for games, but a high end X2 CPU will do just as well, especially with your video card, and provide better all around performance.

w619

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
Thank you for the help, I have decided to get the 4800x2.

If i have any problems with it i will put another post up,but if you guys
have any more sugestions for me I am more than willing to read them.

Thank you for the help, I have decided to get the 4800x2.

If i have any problems with it i will put another post up,but if you guys
have any more sugestions for me I am more than willing to read them.

Good choice as its very close to X2 4400 prices now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103544

I have my X2 4800@2.7ghz and 100% Prime 95 Stable.

My old proc was a Sandiego 4000+ running at 2.9ghz and for whatever reason my new dual core is even slightly faster in single threaded apps than my old single core. :D

Agreed. It should just be a straight forward drop in swap from your old CPU. The heat sinks on the X2's are considerably larger than what you have now, take care installing, the fit can be snug on some boards. When you boot up you should get the "new hardware found" dialog and just follow instructions on the screen. Reboot and install the patch. You should then see 2 CPU's in your device manger, and 2 charts for CPU usage in your task manager. Go for it and enjoy!

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Go for dual. Who says you would need XP Pro to run dual? I have dual on XP Home and it runs great. Anyways for a great deal, get the 840 for $130. It's a good deal just get Scythe Ninja or Thermaltake Big Typhoon to cool this monster. This is a great deal!

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1424117&Sku=CP2-P4-840%20C&SRCCODE=PRICEGRABBER&CMP=OTC-PRICEGRABBER&ci_srccode=cii_5784816&cpncode=11-14668740-2

That may be a good deal for sure, but how is he going to install an Intel processor on an AMD motherboard? :?

I

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
If CPU performance at other things mattered so much, you would be overclocking it as well as the video (since you obviously don't have an aversion to O'Cing).

Thus we must conclude that games are most important and further, that you should NOT get a X2 CPU at any price-point, that gaming performance will be higher with a faster single core.

Someday games will be better multithreaded and make better use of dual core CPUs. Thing is, you're looking to upgrade performance NOW, and at that future date you will end up with the more demanding games and relatively, have wanted to upgrade again if what you have now isn't enough for today's games.

Don't buy into the simplified hype that dual core are better for multitasking. Untrue when oversimplified that much. It requires a second thread that needs to retain a certain # of CPU cycles for realtime processing regardless of it's priority level assignment. That is not a hard situation to find yourself in, but on the other hand it is not multitasking in general, the majority of multitasking scenarios do not fall into that category.

If CPU performance at other things mattered so much, you would be overclocking it as well as the video (since you obviously don't have an aversion to O'Cing).

Thus we must conclude that games are most important and further, that you should NOT get a X2 CPU at any price-point, that gaming performance will be higher with a faster single core.

Someday games will be better multithreaded and make better use of dual core CPUs. Thing is, you're looking to upgrade performance NOW, and at that future date you will end up with the more demanding games and relatively, have wanted to upgrade again if what you have now isn't enough for today's games.

Don't buy into the simplified hype that dual core are better for multitasking. Untrue when oversimplified that much. It requires a second thread that needs to retain a certain # of CPU cycles for realtime processing regardless of it's priority level assignment. That is not a hard situation to find yourself in, but on the other hand it is not multitasking in general, the majority of multitasking scenarios do not fall into that category.

Oh good grief, we must conclude....clock cyles....priority levels of blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.
Lets overcomplicate and make this 10 times harder than it has to be.
An X2 will run games just as well as any single core processor the same clock speed or slightly less, and you get the benefit of the dual core, which does make a noticable difference. All in all, a few bucks extra for the dual core is not going to bankrupt anyone, and it's well worth the extra money in my opinion. :D

birkenwa

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
Looks like the AMD Athlon 64 4000+ is in short supply. Don't see any on newegg or tigerdirect. I have a 3500+ San Diego at home. Building a new machine for the office and would transfer the 3500+ to that machine and get the 4000+ at home for a little jump in speed.
Maybe next year when the x2 4800+ falls further I will replace my single core processors as a final upgrade solution for my 939 motherboards (MSI k8t neo2).

Right now I don't fell like messing with flashing my BIOS for dual core and don't see the advantages of dual core yet and I could flash and kill a board in the process.

When Intel quatro comes out next month we should see AMD cpu prices readjusting downward again.

My next machine sometime next year will be AM2 and I have no idea yet of CPU choice.