[SOLVED] Upgrading my current build

UserTom

Commendable
Mar 4, 2019
Hello guys,

It's been a while since I bought my computer and the only component that I changed over the years is the GPU and I want to upgrade to a more powerful and more suitable PC for my graphics card and my gaming needs.

Over the years, parts has changed and I lost track of what's good, what's compatible and what is the optimal build for all the components regrouped together.I would appreciate help in regards to upgrading, building my new computer with some parts that you judges still decent/compatible with the new build.

I play lots of RPGs, mmos, moba, FPS games... I aim towards 1080p 144+fps but a 4k screen would be nice somewhere in the future.

(As of now, I do not need any screen, mouse, keyboard and headset)

Main parts that I'm concerned about changing, CPU, MOBO, RAM (PSU if needed)
Intel CPU please.

Current rig
GPU: Asus ROG RTX 2080 8gb
CPU: I7 4770k 3.5ghz to 4.0ghzCPU FAN: Cooler master 212 evo
RAM: Corsair Vengeance ddr3 2x8gb 1600MHz
PSU: Corsair CX750M 750W 80 PLUS bronze (modular)
CASE: Corsair Vengeance C70 high airflow black MID-TOWER
MOBO: MSI z87 g43 (red one)
HDD: some standard 7200rpm 1to
SSD:240gb

Thank you

Solution
The suggested config is good, the multitasking mostly if you do a lot of tasks that require high CPU count, like rendering or Playing a game while streaming etc.
For the cooler, as long as you dont overclock you will be fine but probably you want to spend a bit more on the cooler if you want lower temps.
The DDR4 is a must, all new mobos only run with DDR4.

Burke_a_lot

Prominent
May 25, 2020
CPU: Intel Core i5 10600K (unless you do a lot of multitasking I feel you don't need an i7)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro CMW32GX4M4A2666C16 32GB (4x8GB) 2666MHz DDR4
MOBO: ASRock Z490 Extreme 4 (I don't know why but I just love ASRock)
HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 3TB ST3000VN007 3.5in (Ironwolf best bang for buck, and awesome warranty)
SSD: Samsung 860 PRO 256GB (or just keep what you got)

Everything else looks good.

That's what I would personally recommend. Good luck with the build!

Reactions: UserTom

UserTom

Commendable
Mar 4, 2019
CPU: Intel Core i5 10600K (unless you do a lot of multitasking I feel you don't need an i7)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro CMW32GX4M4A2666C16 32GB (4x8GB) 2666MHz DDR4
MOBO: ASRock Z490 Extreme 4 (I don't know why but I just love ASRock)
HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 3TB ST3000VN007 3.5in (Ironwolf best bang for buck, and awesome warranty)
SSD: Samsung 860 PRO 256GB (or just keep what you got)

Everything else looks good.

That's what I would personally recommend. Good luck with the build!

Hello, thank you for the fast reply.

You really picked my interest with this i5 10600k and i would have a couple of questions
I do not know the fine line where the i7 would perform better in multitasking over the i5
What would be considered as ''a lot of multitasking'' ?

Just an exemple: I plan on using 1 main monitor capped at 144hz and 2 at 60hz for a total of 3 monitors.
Let's say I play a MMO on ultra on my main screen, facebook on the second screen, and youtube on the third one for music/guides... Is that considered a lot of multitasking? Can the i5 10600k perform really well with this?
I do not usually have a lot of tabs open on chrome, less than 3 or 4

As for power consomption and adaptability, will my 750watt psu be enough for my whole computer if i get that CPU, RAM and MOBO?

Also, I am guessing you checked the compatibility of the CPU/MOBO/GPU/RAM/CPUFAN and came to conclusion that everything would fit and have no issue?

Do you think the CPU fan cooler 212 evo be enough to cool it to reasonable temperature? I usually aim for 55-60 celcius and under, that is with heavy gaming and with youtube and other things opened.

Do you think the i5 10600k is a good futur proof choice?

I have no intention of streaming but do you think that CPU can handle ''decent'' streaming result?

Also, I do want to switch over to DDR4 but I don't know the major difference, would you enlighten me on some major difference?

Last edited:
The suggested config is good, the multitasking mostly if you do a lot of tasks that require high CPU count, like rendering or Playing a game while streaming etc.
For the cooler, as long as you dont overclock you will be fine but probably you want to spend a bit more on the cooler if you want lower temps.
The DDR4 is a must, all new mobos only run with DDR4.

Solution

Burke_a_lot

Prominent
May 25, 2020
Hello, thank you for the fast reply.

You really picked my interest with this i5 10600k and i would have a couple of questions
I do not know the fine line where the i7 would perform better in multitasking over the i5
What would be considered as ''a lot of multitasking'' ?

Just an exemple: I plan on using 1 main monitor capped at 144hz and 2 at 60hz for a total of 3 monitors.
Let's say I play a MMO on ultra on my main screen, facebook on the second screen, and youtube on the third one for music/guides... Is that considered a lot of multitasking? Can the i5 10600k perform really well with this?
I do not usually have a lot of tabs open on chrome, less than 3 or 4

As for power consomption and adaptability, will my 750watt psu be enough for my whole computer if i get that CPU, RAM and MOBO?

Also, I am guessing you checked the compatibility of the CPU/MOBO/GPU/RAM/CPUFAN and came to conclusion that everything would fit and have no issue?

Do you think the CPU fan cooler 212 evo be enough to cool it to reasonable temperature? I usually aim for 55-60 celcius and under, that is with heavy gaming and with youtube and other things opened.

Do you think the i5 10600k is a good futur proof choice?

I have no intention of streaming but do you think that CPU can handle ''decent'' streaming result?

Also, I do want to switch over to DDR4 but I don't know the major difference, would you enlighten me on some major difference?

Hey mate! Sorry for the late reply :sweatsmile:

With what you use it for you could get away with the i5 10600 (the 'k' means an unlocked cpu for overclocking)

If you have the funds go for the i7 10700 (or the i7 10700k as this can be boosted to 5.1Ghz!) that would be future proof.

As for cooling I would never build an i7 or high end i5 without a AIO liquid cooler. Asus LC 120 should be good.

750W will be enough.

DDR4 is now the new standard. Won't find a new MOBO with DDR3.

And yes I have checked that all the components are compatible.