[SOLVED] Upgrading my i5 4690k

Hey guys!

I've been using my Haswell i5 4690k for around 5 years now and I feel like I could do with an upgrade - I'd also be able to take the opportunity to get new RAM, Storage, etc. I'm planning on upgrading to an i5 9600k, do you think I should upgrade or should I just overclock my current system? Do you think the upgrade will be worth it?

I'm hoping to future-proof my system more, as well as not worry about lag in games. I've also got a GTX 1060.

Thanks!
Sam

Solution
Hey guys!

I've been using my Haswell i5 4690k for around 5 years now and I feel like I could do with an upgrade - I'd also be able to take the opportunity to get new RAM, Storage, etc. I'm planning on upgrading to an i5 9600k, do you think I should upgrade or should I just overclock my current system? Do you think the upgrade will be worth it?

I'm hoping to future-proof my system more, as well as not worry about lag in games. I've also got a GTX 1060.

Thanks!
Sam
For me with the same cpu I have deicided to run it till it dies. Mine was at 4,8Ghz, but I actually put it down to 4,6 because its performing enough well for any my games already. So I'd say clock it, or go for the new ryzen's.
During some testing last night, the CPU was definitely reaching it's limits, but I didn't really see a slow down in games - but in most games it would sit in the 70-100% usage range. I've not tried overclocking yet :)
But was your FPS good and the gpu fully utilised? Doesn’t matter if cpu is near 100% if performance is good and gpu has good utilisation.

Assuming the system is up to it Google some overclocking guides and just try it.

The FPS was good, and the GPU would rarely hit 100%, it would happily sit in the 60-70% range. I feel like I'm answering my own question here 🤣
Ok so looks like cpu was probably the limiting factor. A quick test is reducing the resolution of games and seeing if FPS increases materially. If it doesn’t then it does suggest a cpu limitation.

The 4690k was a reasonable overclocker, so assuming everything else is up to it just try overclocking.

Oh wow, 900p then yeah I’m not surprised the cpu is limiting before the gpu gets fully utilised. It not a problem but you are just not getting everything you could from your gpu investment.

If you are happy with your FPS then a monitor upgrade to 1080p might be a good option.

The 1060 will require you to drop many settings to run 1440p 60fps in modern AAA games. The 1060 is a good 1080p card but 1440p is pushing it.

CPU load is more closely linked to FPS, so 60 FPS at 1080p will generally take the same cpu work as 60fps 1440p. The extra work is on the gpu. There is some generalisation here but it’s roughly what happens.

liamwhalley20

Prominent
Nov 27, 2018
Yeah mine started life as a zoo storm machine with an i5 4590 but then I upgraded to 4670k and then found out that you could overclock on this h81 board :') turned multiplier upto 45 @ 1.201 Vcore and the difference in games is brilliant, from what I saw anyway as i was getting alot of stutters in gta 5 and forza horizon 4 but now it is smooth as silk holds tight at around 60 fps on gta v and fh4 is limited to 60 fps and only ever drops to like 55 in the city :)

Yeah mine started life as a zoo storm machine with an i5 4590 but then I upgraded to 4670k and then found out that you could overclock on this h81 board :') turned multiplier upto 45 and the difference in games is brilliant, from what I saw anyway as i was getting alot of stutters in gta 5 and forza horizon 4 but now it is smooth as silk holds tight at around 60 fps on gta v and fh4 is limited to 60 fps and only ever drops to like 55 in the city :)

Oh that sounds incredible. I'm glad that these little motherboards can overclock! What did you use to stress test your CPU for stability?

liamwhalley20

Prominent
Nov 27, 2018
I used prime95 26.6, I have a deepcool maelstrom 240t cooling it, it hits like 71°c in stress test but in real world I'm still yet to see it hit 60°c :) Vcore is at 1.201 as if I put it any higher it crashes, I think these boards are limited to 1.2 Volts but still that isn't bad

I used prime95 26.6, I have a deepcool maelstrom 240t cooling it, it hits like 71°c in stress test but in real world I'm still yet to see it hit 60°c :) Vcore is at 1.201 as if I put it any higher it crashes, I think these boards are limited to 1.2 Volts but still that isn't bad

Nice. Thanks a lot dude - I'm currently overclocking and running 4.2ghz @ 1.150v - Gonna keep it going up! I might run out and buy a watercooler as it's getting a little warm 🤣 The goal is 4.5ghz!

Reactions: liamwhalley20

peikko69

Reputable
Nov 2, 2014
Hey guys!

Thanks!
Sam
For me with the same cpu I have deicided to run it till it dies. Mine was at 4,8Ghz, but I actually put it down to 4,6 because its performing enough well for any my games already. So I'd say clock it, or go for the new ryzen's.

Reactions: liamwhalley20
Solution