[SOLVED] Upgrading my Lenovo Legions CPU and GPU, looking for advice!

djsteez2

Reputable
Sep 28, 2017
Hi good people!

I am little on a budget but I would like to buy some used CPU and GPU and upgrade my have a Lenovo Legion Tower PC (Y520T-25IKL) which now has:
intel b250
16gb ram (2400mhz, I think)
GeFroce GTX 1050 ti (4GB)
Intel i3 7100

For CPU I was thinking an i7 6700k or i7 7700k for which I need a separate cooler maybe? I am thinking about selling my old CPU, and
for GPU like gtx 1060 or 1650 / 60 maybe?

What do you suggest? I guess I would need to buy a new PSU too. I also dont know if my mobo can handle those.

I appreciate all the help I can get as my knowledge is limited when I read the comparisons on Google :) I am also on a budget, so I was thinking maybe CPU and GPU till 300 euro, if possible (used ones).

I thank you all!
Have a good one!

Deni

Solution
You don't need a K suffix processor part since you can't take advantage of the unlocked multiplier. Meaning you're confined to non overclockable processors. You won't need an aftermarket cooler since the stick cooler on non-K processors will do the job.

That laves you with the ram, the B250 chipset will only allow you to go as far as DDR4-2666MHz at the highest. What PSU do you have right now and how old is it?

Lutfij

Titan
You don't need a K suffix processor part since you can't take advantage of the unlocked multiplier. Meaning you're confined to non overclockable processors. You won't need an aftermarket cooler since the stick cooler on non-K processors will do the job.

That laves you with the ram, the B250 chipset will only allow you to go as far as DDR4-2666MHz at the highest. What PSU do you have right now and how old is it?

Reactions: djsteez2
Solution

djsteez2

Reputable
Sep 28, 2017

Thank you for the answer! I understand now that it should be a non K processor. Can you suggest some other one then?
My PSU, as what I can see on it, is ''LiteOn model no: Ps-5281-02''. Its all on Chinese but it says 264W MAX. It is 2,5 years old (the whole PC).

Last edited: