[SOLVED] Upgrading my pc, but could use some help.

Nate_30

Honorable
Nov 13, 2016
I've decided that instead of building a brand new computer, I'd save a little money and just upgrade my GPU instead. I'd like to jump from a 1060 to a 1080, but I'd like to ask the community who know more about computers than I do before I make any purchases. My current build as of now:

CPU: Intel Core i7 7700
GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060 3gb
RAM: 8 gigs of DDR4
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B250M-A
PSU: Thermaltake Smart 600w 80 White Certified Power Supply

First, I need to know if my system is compatible. Like if my CPU won't bottleneck, if I have enough wattage, etc. And second, which model 1080 should I buy? If it helps, my main interest for buying a powerful rig is for VR.
Thanks, I always appreciate the help you all give when I need it.

Solution
Your i7-7700 is still very capable.
Try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

A 600w PSU should be plenty for a GTX1080.
FWIW, thermaltake 600w is tier 7 on this list; not very good.
Your i7-7700 is still very capable.
Try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

A 600w PSU should be plenty for a GTX1080.
FWIW, thermaltake 600w is tier 7 on this list; not very good.

Solution
Feb 28, 2019
What storage do you have
I've decided that instead of building a brand new computer, I'd save a little money and just upgrade my GPU instead. I'd like to jump from a 1060 to a 1080, but I'd like to ask the community who know more about computers than I do before I make any purchases. My current build as of now:

CPU: Intel Core i7 7700
GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060 3gb
RAM: 8 gigs of DDR4
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B250M-A
PSU: Thermaltake Smart 600w 80 White Certified Power Supply

First, I need to know if my system is compatible. Like if my CPU won't bottleneck, if I have enough wattage, etc. And second, which model 1080 should I buy? If it helps, my main interest for buying a powerful rig is for VR.
Thanks, I always appreciate the help you all give when I need it.
Question is, do you run 1080p? and what kind of storage do you run at the moment?

TardisRepair

Prominent
Jun 23, 2017
Like the other guy said, you have a very capable CPU, so you likely only need to upgrade the GPU. If you're going for a VR computer, I don't think you will need a 1080 for any games really. It might be a better option to get a RTX 2070 instead, as it has ray tracing, which may be used by more games in the next few years, and has slightly better performance than a GTX 1080, for only slightly more money.