[SOLVED] Upgrading my ram, already bought fresh one, suggestions on mixing modules !

ankur121192

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2015
Here are the specs of PC :
CPU : Intel i5 7600k running without OC
Motherboard : MSI z170A mPower Gaming Titanium/
RAM existing : Crucial DDR4 @ 2133 MHz 8 GB - PC4 - 17000 CT8G4DFD8213 1.2v Unbuffered NON-ECC
RAM bought and to be installed : Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 16 GB @3000 MHz C16 XMP 2.0
PSU : Corsair 750W (R750 or something is the build, black one)
GPU : Zotac Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 mini 2GB
Cooler : Coolermaster hyper H410R

Now, As mentioned above, I got a new ram with a different brand, size, speed. What are my options here :
A - Swap the sticks, install new one, take out old one and let the old one eat dust or maybe re sell.
B - Find easy and safe BSOD-proof, Freezing-proof workaround that allows installing both the sticks, but you might be running everything @ 2133 MHz (Could have saved a few bucks buying lower sped RAM you newbie !).
C - OC the old RAM in a manner so that you are as close to 3000 MHz as possible without compromising much on the overall RAM speed (not sure if partial OC is even possible, like OCing just the old ram to match voltage, timings etc. with the new one.)

Also if you suggest OCing the old one, please let me know safest method to do so, as i am a first timer/unexperienced when it comes to Overclocking.

Solution
A- my suggestion
B- "Find easy and safe BSOD-proof, Freezing-proof workaround " rarer than unicorns.
C- don't overclock RAM, get the RAM at the speed you want the RAM to run at, if you want to overclock the RAM to 3600 get 3600 or faster RAM. I have had Zero luck overclocking DDR3 or 4 to any meaningful degree.

Ideally you would buy RAM in matched pairs.
as you will have both the sticks, if you do not mind a bit of work, you could try them together and see what happens. use memtest86 to test each setting change of the RAM for stability, three passes or more.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
A- my suggestion
B- "Find easy and safe BSOD-proof, Freezing-proof workaround " rarer than unicorns.
C- don't overclock RAM, get the RAM at the speed you want the RAM to run at, if you want to overclock the RAM to 3600 get 3600 or faster RAM. I have had Zero luck overclocking DDR3 or 4 to any meaningful degree.

Ideally you would buy RAM in matched pairs.
as you will have both the sticks, if you do not mind a bit of work, you could try them together and see what happens. use memtest86 to test each setting change of the RAM for stability, three passes or more.

Last edited:
Solution