[SOLVED] Upgrading my RAM for my Ryzen 5 3600

gigahyperprime

Prominent
Aug 14, 2020
i currently have 2x8Gb DDr4 2666 for my 3600 ryzen 5.

Overall gaming and usage, no complaints.

I sometimes do 4K video edit and it lags sometimes so im thinking of upgrading to 32Gb. Or should i buy 3200mHz ram to replace my 2666 ?

Will there be a different between 32Gb of 2666 vs 16Gb of 3200 ?

Thank you

Solution
it does well in most games but some are very cpu bound like Squad which I personally quite enjoy compared to how the Battlefield series has gone sadly and I get some pretty bad fps drops in it at times. I've watched on youtube where people with the 3rd gen ryzens which have quite a bit of clockspeed and IPC boost over my 1st gen ryzen have done very well with the same gpu or similar as I have so that's how I know the cpu is holding me back in the game I mostly play these days.

I've found first gen ryzen to be particularly finicky with ram, after much trouble I got it stable at 2933mhz, but, the timings are quite loose and any attempt to tighten them down results in outright refusing to boot, crashing, BSOD's,etc. At my age and what...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Well that completely depends on whether you need faster memory or more memory as they're not a direct comparison. If your applications often require more than 16GB RAM, and you find your memory throttling when you are using these applications, then additional RAM would probably be justified.

Last edited:

Ferimer

Distinguished
i currently have 2x8Gb DDr4 2666 for my 3600 ryzen 5.

Overall gaming and usage, no complaints.

I sometimes do 4K video edit and it lags sometimes so im thinking of upgrading to 32Gb. Or should i buy 3200mHz ram to replace my 2666 ?

Will there be a different between 32Gb of 2666 vs 16Gb of 3200 ?

Thank you
Your better option would be to pair it with either 32Gb of 3600mhz or 16GB of 3600mhz as that CPU runs better with faster speeds. Again like the above poster mentioned it depends on if you actually need more ram than 16GB. But again 3600mhz would be the best option in this case.

gigahyperprime

Prominent
Aug 14, 2020
Your better option would be to pair it with either 32Gb of 3600mhz or 16GB of 3600mhz as that CPU runs better with faster speeds. Again like the above poster mentioned it depends on if you actually need more ram than 16GB. But again 3600mhz would be the best option in this case.
Thank you for your reply. I use mostly Davinci Resolve for editing video, as far as i know it requires more ram to cache video ? i dont do gaming more than 60fps BF5 and Madden 2020

Ferimer

Distinguished
Thank you for your reply. I use mostly Davinci Resolve for editing video, as far as i know it requires more ram to cache video ? i dont do gaming more than 60fps BF5 and Madden 2020
If the speed isn't a concern and you are content with going with 3200mhz then go for it, and get the 32GB just to have it and not have to worry. If you prefer the speed and dont need all that ram then 16GB 3600mhz might be the better choice. I just know that with the Ryzen 5 3600 using 3600mhz is the best option as the CPU benefits hugely from it.

WhiteSnake91

Distinguished
I wouldn't pair anything less than 3600mhz with 3rd gen ryzen personally.......actually been window shopping parts, thinking about getting the 3700x myself, or I heard even the 3600 is still quite a bit better gaming than my older 1700 which has some dips in some games due to its bigger clockspeed and big ipc boost over 1st gen. I feel like on 1080p with an rx 480 my ryzen 1st gen 1700 is still the bottleneck in the system

I wouldn't pair anything less than 3600mhz with 3rd gen ryzen personally.......actually been window shopping parts, thinking about getting the 3700x myself, or I heard even the 3600 is still quite a bit better gaming than my older 1700 which has some dips in some games due to its bigger clockspeed and big ipc boost over 1st gen. I feel like on 1080p with an rx 480 my ryzen 1st gen 1700 is still the bottleneck in the system

No way on this planet is a ryxen 1700 the limiter paired with a rx 480, not even at 1080p

Reactions: PC Tailor

WhiteSnake91

Distinguished
it does well in most games but some are very cpu bound like Squad which I personally quite enjoy compared to how the Battlefield series has gone sadly and I get some pretty bad fps drops in it at times. I've watched on youtube where people with the 3rd gen ryzens which have quite a bit of clockspeed and IPC boost over my 1st gen ryzen have done very well with the same gpu or similar as I have so that's how I know the cpu is holding me back in the game I mostly play these days.

I've found first gen ryzen to be particularly finicky with ram, after much trouble I got it stable at 2933mhz, but, the timings are quite loose and any attempt to tighten them down results in outright refusing to boot, crashing, BSOD's,etc. At my age and what I've been through in life I don't have the patience to deal with it anymore and am looking to get either a 3600 or 3700x myself to be good for quite a few years, but I will also buy new 3600mhz ram with good timings to pair with it too to not be crippled. It feels like it'd be a disservice pairing 3rd gen ryzen with this 2933 ram with bad timings. 3000mhz insta crashed the pc, yet 2933 boots....who knew the fine line between life and death was a mere 67mhz difference lol

Don't get me wrong I can still play 99% of games ever made smooth at 1080p ultra or high, the lower ipc compared to new cpu's and way lower clockspeed of the 1700 is severely holding me back though.

I'd wager I could get by this whole new console gen with a modern i5 6c/12t 10600k and just use Nvenc instead of x264 to take the load off the cpu if I ever streamed, been doing a lot of window shopping. We'll see how things go in the not so distant future. I've yet to find anything to compel me to move on from the rx 480 8gb, I'm fine with 1080p ultra/high 60hz. I just straight up don't have the patience to deal with the emotional/mental stress a constantly crashing pc gives me when the ram is tweaked. And that's not even OCing the cpu at all either which is a whole other can of worms when the ram is tweaked, nonetheless 4 ram dimms installed too. Stress is a killer.

Solution