Upgrading my ram

Noobgamer37

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2014
I'm looking to upgrade to 16gb of ram but I need to make sure I don't cause myself any problems. I've heard it can be bad to cross different brands of ram, although I'm not sure why. I'm looking at buying this 8gb set https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J8E90I2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2863QO7PSKX1N&psc=1 but will it cause problems with the ram I have right now. Worst comes to worst I can buy the same as what I have now its just a little more expensive so if II can I'd like to save some money.
Here's my current pc
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/LaZyGremlin/saved/

Solution
To minimize problems with mix an' matching RAM you should aim to buy the exact same RAM that you already have. After that you want to at least aim to get the same speed and timings. RAM is really touchy about this. While it's no where near as bad as it was back in the day it is still possible to have two perfectly fine sticks of RAM that just refuse to work together.

The only sure way to avoid this is to buy your RAM in kits for whatever size capacity you want.
the timings are a bit different for the two memory, so i'm not sure if they would work together. both are 1.5V.

first one runs @ 9-10-9-28 (your current ram is faster)
second one runs @ 10-11-10 with a unspecified Tras timing.

it's up to you if you want to take the risk, or get the different kit, (maybe you can sell your 2x4 and get a 2x8 kit)?.

if memory serves me right, h series mobo doesn't have memory tweaking features.

To minimize problems with mix an' matching RAM you should aim to buy the exact same RAM that you already have. After that you want to at least aim to get the same speed and timings. RAM is really touchy about this. While it's no where near as bad as it was back in the day it is still possible to have two perfectly fine sticks of RAM that just refuse to work together.

The only sure way to avoid this is to buy your RAM in kits for whatever size capacity you want.

Solution

Noobgamer37

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2014

Alright thanks for the help I'
l'll probably stick with the one I have than

Noobgamer37

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2014

Ok thanks for the info I'll look into selling but I imagine its not really worth the time I'm probably betterspending the extra $15 to get the same as my current ram