Upgrading my Silverstone SG05 to Ryzen

_TM

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
Hey guys,
I've made my first mini ITX build 5 years ago, with my favorite case Silverstone SG05, which is a SFF case 10.8 Liters.

My current build core components is i5-4570, GTX 1060 , 8gb ram, Corsair SFX 600W PSU, and my CPU is bottlenecking my GPU hard and I decided that it's time to update it.

I managed to sell my mITX motherboard ( MSI Z87i) for a good price so I am in position to change motherboard as well, I've been reading a lot about Ryzen and when I started mini ITX, AMD was not even an option (there were no AMD mini ITX boards back to 2013), so I have some doubts that I hope you guys can help me.

I'm planning to upgrade my rig to Ryzen 2700 , 16gb 3200 mhz RAM and ASRock Fatal1ty X470 Gaming-ITX, my concerns is if you think the temperatures will be as good as they are with intel? Also I read that to have RAM clocking at 3200 mhz, it needs to be OC, do you think this will be warm for SFF small cases or I shouldn't hurry too much about it?

Overall you recommend this upgrade?

Thanks a lot,
TM

Before I recommend you a build, I will say one thing about AMD. Ever since they launched their Ryzen lineup, AMD has become a viable choice and a full competitor to Intel. Specially with their 2nd Gen release, which has even made them ever so popular. It will provide a premium experience with premium performance as well as 3-year warranty, which is crazy.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($113.00 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg Business)
Total: $392.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-19 05:11 EST-0500

I went with a B450 board instead of a X470. The only difference is that X470 supports SLI, which I don't think you can on an mITX form factor anyways. So the huge price difference is not quite worth it IMO.

As for RAM, any speed above 2666Mhz for Ryzen is an overclocked speed.
For Intel, anything above 2400Mhz is an overclocked speed.
But now, overclocking RAM on Ryzen has been optimized, it's very easy to do through the BIOS. You just need to click from auto to BOSD and it'll do it automatically.