upgrading my sons computer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sexy Toliet

Reputable
Jan 28, 2015
he mainly uses it for gaming
right now he has q9550 core2 quad at 2.83 ghz with 4gb of ddr3 ram
and a corsair psu 750 watt bronze certifeid or whatever equipped with a
superclocked gtx 570 Ti
this system runs games really well i mean his little rig their can handle bioshock infinite on ultra
at like 58 fps but its his money so and he wants to spend around 400$ and he just wants my help putting whatever we get together

so i was think he has a nice video card i mean it has Average G3D Mark of like 4500 benchmark as a score so will probably keep the gtx 570 ti card and the corsair 750 watt psu
focus on processor speed and if later if he wants to add a better card or new ram thats fine

so i was looking at this computer on ebay here's the link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/INTEL-LGA1150-CORE-I5-4690k-CUSTOM-DESKTOP-PC-FAST-COMPUTER-SYSTEM-/231359181846?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35de14f416

and just gonna take out whatever video card it has and the psu unit on it
and just swap it with the corsair 750 watt psu and gtx 570 ti that i already have
and maybe even take that 4gb of ddr3 ram he has to make it go up to 8gb of ddr3 of ram

so i guess im asking
how does that all sound, you guys think it would be a bump up from his original rig
just tell me your thought or if you think he would be happy

Solution
Sir,

Going for ivy-bridge as of now won't be a smart move when you can get haswell, haswell refresh in the same price. ivy-bridge represents third gen of Intel i seris CPUs whereas haswell is 4th gen series. With broadwell upon us closely followed by Skylake and then cannonlake, I would like to make a request to stick with or consider haswell as a minimum.

Rest is your choice sir.
Sir,

Going for ivy-bridge as of now won't be a smart move when you can get haswell, haswell refresh in the same price. ivy-bridge represents third gen of Intel i seris CPUs whereas haswell is 4th gen series. With broadwell upon us closely followed by Skylake and then cannonlake, I would like to make a request to stick with or consider haswell as a minimum.

Rest is your choice sir.

Solution