Upgrading my system. Need advice on few components. $1400 ish.

und3rtaker

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
Greetings, fellas!

After a good long time, i got myself some money and with gpu dying, I thought to myself: "This is it. lets change the system!".

For the reference, here's what I'm currently using:

CPU:Intel Core 2 Quad 8300
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212
Motherboard: ASUS P5KR
Ram: 2x sticks of Kingston4GB and 2x Sticks of G.Skill 4GB (DDR2)
HDD: WD Scorpio 320GB 7200RPM
GPU: AMD Radeon R7 270 Dual - X. (currently on brink of dying, heavy artefacting)
PSU: Corsair TX650 80+ Bronze
Chassis: Thermaltake Overseer RX-I

I think we can all see why the need to upgrade. Haven't really done that in a long long time.
Lets get down to it. Here's what I kinda wanted to buy for myself:

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Remains the same.
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-F GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
RAM: G.Skill - Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
HDD: Undecided yet. Will most likely need a SSD and a 2TB HDD.
GPU: Undecided yet. Looking at GeForce 1070 chipset.
PSU: For now the same. Will go for modular at some point in the future. 650W is fine enough for now.
Chasis: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case

So as you can see, I've done some digging but I really can't decide on the storage and GPU. I know GeForce 1170 series is about to be released in month or a bit more, but cant wait currently as my current system can only boot in safe mode (yes, I'm using this from safe mode w/ networking). I'd use SSD for Windows and few main squeezes in terms of video games.

System will be used for streaming and gaming.

Thanks.

Solution
If you're streaming and gaming, I'd actually recommend taking a look into team red's most recent offerings. The 2700X, for example, is priced lower than the 8700k, comes with a good/compatible cooler (no need to worry about any AM4 brackets), and brings an extra 2 cores/4 threads to the table. By no means is the 8700k bad at streaming, but you might want to consider what that extra overhead can do for you.

As for the storage, 500 GB is the best point in terms of GB/$. You could pay around $80 for a 480GB units, which is only around $20 more than a similar 240 GB unit. I only chose the expensive-by-comparison 860 evo due to the reliability/speed of Samsung SSD's. Also, the strix board definitely is good, but I'd recommend looking into...
If you're streaming and gaming, I'd actually recommend taking a look into team red's most recent offerings. The 2700X, for example, is priced lower than the 8700k, comes with a good/compatible cooler (no need to worry about any AM4 brackets), and brings an extra 2 cores/4 threads to the table. By no means is the 8700k bad at streaming, but you might want to consider what that extra overhead can do for you.

As for the storage, 500 GB is the best point in terms of GB/$. You could pay around $80 for a 480GB units, which is only around $20 more than a similar 240 GB unit. I only chose the expensive-by-comparison 860 evo due to the reliability/speed of Samsung SSD's. Also, the strix board definitely is good, but I'd recommend looking into the ASRock Z370 Taichi. It, in my opinion, is one of the best boards in its tier, and is similarly priced to the Z370-F.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Taichi ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($117.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($57.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $365.77
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-21 20:31 EDT-0400

Solution

Kevin_138

Commendable
May 2, 2016
Everyone on the net recommends Ryzen if you are a streamer, due to the much better multi tasking (more cores and threads).

ps If you only work in safe mode it's a driver issue.
If you are lucky a delete and reinstall will fix (good luck guessing which one).
If you are unlucky something minor has failed on the MoBo that only has drivers loaded later in the boot sequence.

Or it could be the Graphics card?
Try pulling it and running on the intergrtated.

ohenryy

Honorable

The extreme 4 is actually one of the best Z370 motherboards out there considering it's price. Its a solid motherboard with plenty of ports and connectivity and if you want to overclock, it comes with one of the best VRMs among the Z370 models, I believe it actually has the same VRMs as Taichi.