[SOLVED] Upgrading my system, please help.

Jan 3, 2021
I am looking to upgrade my system in the coming months and need a little help / advise.

My system is:
CPU: i7-770k overclocked to 4.8GHz
RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix - 3200 MHz
MB: Asus Prime Z270-P
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S
GPU: 8GB GTX 1080 Founders Edition
PS: Corsair 650W CS Series Modular 80+ Gold
Case: NZXT S340
SSD: 129GB M.2
HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 3 TB
Display: Samsung Ultrawide 3440x1440

I would like to upgrade my GPU to an RTX 2070 Super but i am unsure if my motherboard is compatible, PC Part Picker says yes but would i benefit from a motherboard upgrade too? Additionally will I see any real performance increase moving from a 1080 to 2070 super motherboard upgrade aside?

Can someone recommend any changes or parts that might work?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Solution
I am looking to upgrade my system in the coming months and need a little help / advise.

My system is:

I would like to upgrade my GPU to an RTX 2070 Super but i am unsure if my motherboard is compatible, PC Part Picker says yes but would i benefit from a motherboard upgrade too? Additionally will I see any real performance increase moving from a 1080 to 2060 super motherboard upgrade aside?

Can someone recommend any changes or parts...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You will first need to ditch that CS model and pick up something made by Seasonic or if you want to stick to Corsair, get the RM or TX units. Your motherboard is going to be fine, your PSU is what's concerning. Make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard, prior to any hardware upgrade.

Also, make sure you download the latest drivers from Nvidia's support site and use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers prior to removing the GTX1080 FE. Install the latest drivers after dropping in the new GPU in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

My system is:

I would like to upgrade my GPU to an RTX 2070 Super but i am unsure if my motherboard is compatible, PC Part Picker says yes but would i benefit from a motherboard upgrade too? Additionally will I see any real performance increase moving from a 1080 to 2060 super motherboard upgrade aside?

Thanks.
https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2527?vs=2516

1080 to 2070 Super is not really worth it

Solution

ben001

Distinguished

My system is:

I would like to upgrade my GPU to an RTX 2070 Super but i am unsure if my motherboard is compatible, PC Part Picker says yes but would i benefit from a motherboard upgrade too? Additionally, will I see any real performance increase moving from a 1080 to 2070 super motherboard upgrade aside?

Thanks.
Hi,

To run a GPU, you will need a PCI-express x16 slot on your motherboard which all them has, so no question of compatibility here. Now, you might be looking processors of these sockets - LGA 1200 (Intel) or AM4 (AMD) will be your main area of selection. In that case, you will need to change your current LGA 1155 socket board, followed by your CPU and RAM.

or, You can also hold your purchase for the upcoming Rocket-Lake CPU's by Intel which might release in O1 2021.

Things I feel you need changes:
CPU, Motherboard, RAM, PSU.

Things I feel you can keep:
CPU Cooler, SSD, HDD, Display, Case, and GPU.

I would say, attempt for anything latest in the market, your current video card still has potential to play any games adequately with minor adjustments, get an efficient quality power supply starting from + gold and above. A range between 700-850W is enough which also gives you that extra headroom in the future.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS