Upgrading old computer

zupanman

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
So i've been thinking of upgrading my 7 year old rig since it's getting out of it's shape (getting slow, crashing from time to time for which im blaming ram or cpu that is running quite hot and also new games can barely be player or are not playable at al..). I'm thinking of getting something that is up to date and will be good to use in the years to come but i also don't want to spend alot of money right away.
I'm thinking of upgrading my CPU, MoBo and RAM first and getting a new GPU a bit later. For the CPU im looking at i7 6700k or something within that range.

So my question is... With the new CPU and first upgrades i would like to use my old GPU which is an ATI HD 5870, how do you think this is going to work for some time? I know it will bottlenecking but how bad will it be? Would that be a waste of time and money for not upgrading everything together? I know it may sound like a stupid question but i really don't have much experience about that.

Solution
There is no reason why you should lose performance by upgrading the CPU. At worst, performance will stay the same for games that are GPU heavy, but there should be no degradation. I think it will be just fine to start with that.

The case and drives can probably be re-used without issue, although if the drives are 7 years old I'd consider backing up and considering replacements. I'd be wary of re-using the PSU if it is 7 years old, though.

Epsilon_0EVP

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
Using an old graphics card won't affect you beyond the fact that games will still not run very well. Performance should get better just from upgrading the CPU, but most games will see more benefit from a better graphics card than a better CPU.

If your machine is that old, I'd also considering starting from scratch instead. It's unlikely you'll be able to re-use most parts, anyway, and the ones that you can re-use will be outperformed by even budget parts today.

zupanman

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
Of course I am aware that a new and betrer GPU will affect gaming more but in my case at least for me its more importand the overall performance of the computer and not just in games since im using programs that have high cpu usage. But if in that time before i also get a new GPU i will want to play some games it wont be worse as it is now if i understand you right? Im worried since the i7 6700k is a beast compared to old 5870.

For re-using parts of my computer i was only thinking about my case which is a HAF 932, my 1TB HDD for storage and an SSD which is quite new. Meybe the 650W PSU if that is going to be enough and that is also my next question.

Epsilon_0EVP

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
There is no reason why you should lose performance by upgrading the CPU. At worst, performance will stay the same for games that are GPU heavy, but there should be no degradation. I think it will be just fine to start with that.

The case and drives can probably be re-used without issue, although if the drives are 7 years old I'd consider backing up and considering replacements. I'd be wary of re-using the PSU if it is 7 years old, though.

Solution

zupanman

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010

I was thinking of getting a new PSU too but it's getting a bit off the budget of what i was thinking to spend for now. The PSU i have now is LC6650GP3 V2.3. Never had any problems before also. Was thinking of upgrading it that time when i will be getting a new GPU. So do you think it's a bad idea to re-use it till that time? Oh and the SSD drive is less then 1 year old so im not thinking of getting a new one and the other HDD is only for storage so i think this will not be a problem.

zupanman

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010

The PSU i have now is LC6650GP3 V2.3 and for other parts:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.40GHz (replacing)
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5870 (replacing later)
MoBo: Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD3P (replacing)
RAM: 4x 2GB DDR2 (repalcing)
HDD: Samsung hd103sj 1TB (not replacing)
SDD: Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb (not replacing)
Case: HAF 932 (not replacing)

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
It's not the highest quality unit,but seems decent enough. Don't think you really have it for 7 years? Seems more recent to me.
With only changing motherboard,cpu+ram do i not think it will hurt to keep on using it if still performing well.

zupanman

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010

Just checked the invoice from when i bought it: 22.05.2010 so my bad not really 7 years very but close. Do you think something else may go wrong if in that time before chaning it this CPU gets a bit faulty?

Epsilon_0EVP

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
If it is still working fine and it is of good quality, then in the worst case it will fail and trip up some protection, and you just lose a PSU. If it is really bad or really old, though, it can take out many other parts of the computer, and even be dangerous.

zupanman

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
Thanks to both of you for helping! Will do as planned so ill get the CPU i7 6700k with Evo 212 heater, MoBo Asus z170 pro gaming and 16gb of Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz for now and probably a new PSU and something like the GTX 1070 graphic card a bit later so i don't push my budget too far.

zupanman

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
So for the last few days i was thinking about if i should buy the PSU later or now and meybe i can push the budget little more and get the PSU and be safe. Can anyone suggest me what PSU should i get for that configuration im thinking? I would like to keep it around 100€ range, would need 6pin connectors for my GPU and if possible to be a modular PSU.

zupanman

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
Will be buying on German site MindFatory that shipps to Slovenia. Was looking for the Corsair RMi Series RM650i PSU. Saw great reviews on it and i think 650W is enough for what ill be having also with the GTX 1070 later and also 100€ is what i can handle more. Thoughts? My biggest cocern is about the MoBo and 3000MHz RAM. Was thinking to go for the Asus z170 PRO GAMING but heard some bad things about how things with the 3000MHz RAM is not working out so my head is turning towards Asus z170-A. Do you maybe have any informations or thoughts about this?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador