[SOLVED] Upgrading ram, causing pc freezes

damnatissum

Commendable
Jan 20, 2018
I'm upgrading from 4x4 Corsair Vengeance 2400 to 4x8 G.skill TridentZ rgb 3200 on an MSI Z270 M7 mobo. When I install all four sticks, my pc will start, go into windows, and give me 4-7 seconds to do whatever I want before completely freezing, at which point I have to restart. I've tried XMP on/off, updating my bios, underclocking ram, setting to 3200, and leaving settings auto/default, none change the outcome. I've tested each stick individually and each combination of pairs, with all running smoothly. I'm not sure if it's relevant but regardless of the number of sticks installed, the RGB on DIMMA2 will begin to flicker a few moments after windows boots and before my PC freezes. The flickering happens regardless of the number of sticks installed. If anyone can help or provide any insight before I bring it into a technician I would greatly appreciate the help.

Specs:
MSI Z270 Gaming M7 (ms-7a57)
Intel I-7 7700K
Asus ROG 1080
EVGA Nex750b
Current ram: 4x4 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400 (c16 I believe)
Installing ram: 4x8 G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200 C16Q-32GTZR

Solution
Hmm thats strange

What i would do is to install a bootable instance of memtest86 on a usb and boot from it using all 4 sticks. Run a few cycles of the test and see if any errors pop up, make sure you use stock bios setttings [using the default bios profile], this will determine whether your sticks are defective.

tbjerry07

Commendable
Apr 14, 2018
Hmm thats strange

What i would do is to install a bootable instance of memtest86 on a usb and boot from it using all 4 sticks. Run a few cycles of the test and see if any errors pop up, make sure you use stock bios setttings [using the default bios profile], this will determine whether your sticks are defective.

Reactions: damnatissum
Solution