[SOLVED] Upgrading ram ddr4 2666mhz

Nov 25, 2021
Hello, I am kind of stupid and I just need this confirmed before I go out of my way and buy new ram.
I have an intel core i5-8400 2.80 ghz and I want to upgrade to 16gb ram.
The ram im using now is 2x4gb 2400 mhz and i know the cpu supports 2666 mhz.
Can i use one 16gb ddr4 2666mhz or should I buy 2x8gb 2666mhz? Does it matter?

I was thinking about Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb 2666mhz. Is that compatible? That's probably a really dumb question, i'm sorry. Ive never done this before lol so i need some help! :(

Solution
In that case, go for this kit. Higher speeds, lower price. 2 x 8 is always better than 1 x 16, and this kit is even cheaper and faster than the one you linked.

The kit is rated at 3200MHz, but since you have an H-series motherboard, it won't run faster than that 2666MHz you mentioned (it's a limitation of the H-series chipsets). If in the future you decide to upgrade to a Z-series motherboard, the kit can run at the advertised 3200MHz speed. Either way, better and cheaper. :)
The processor supported memory timings don't really matter. My 8700K supports 2666MHz RAM as well, but I'm running 3200MHz RAM without a problem. The real question is whether your motherboard supports the RAM kit you're planning on buying.

So what motherboard do you have and which RAM kit are you planning on buying?

Nov 25, 2021
The processor supported memory timings don't really matter. My 8700K supports 2666MHz RAM as well, but I'm running 3200MHz RAM without a problem. The real question is whether your motherboard supports the RAM kit you're planning on buying.

So what motherboard do you have and which RAM kit are you planning on buying?

I have an asus prime h310M-K motherboard.

I was gonna buy:
1 x 16gb
or
2 x 8gb

But buying 2x8gb is cheaper though, so that would be optimal. It would work right?

In that case, go for this kit. Higher speeds, lower price. 2 x 8 is always better than 1 x 16, and this kit is even cheaper and faster than the one you linked.

The kit is rated at 3200MHz, but since you have an H-series motherboard, it won't run faster than that 2666MHz you mentioned (it's a limitation of the H-series chipsets). If in the future you decide to upgrade to a Z-series motherboard, the kit can run at the advertised 3200MHz speed. Either way, better and cheaper. :)

Solution
Nov 25, 2021

Alright, thank you so much! <3