Question Upgrading RAM from 16GB to 32GB

drandy2019

Reputable
Dec 8, 2019
Hello! I been thinking of upgrading my RAM capacity to 32GB. I was looking to see if it was a good idea to buy 2x8GB and just add it with the other two on the MOBO. Apparently it is not a good idea since it can put more pressure into the CPU and cause more power surge. So, I decided to try and find 2x16GB.

The problem with this is that my MOBO only supports DDR3. All of the 2x16GB RAMs that I found are DDR4. I just want to know if there are any DDR3 2x16GB and if it will indeed work on my MOBO and run faster than my current?

My PC Build
Motherboard: ASUS Gryphon Z87 LGA
GPU: Geforce GTX 970 Gaming 4GB
CPU: Intel i7-4770
RAM: 16GB DDR3
Power Supply: 750W

16GB is perfectly fine at the moment. The only reason you would want more is if you want to create Virtual Machines or create RAM drives for fun.

Your MOBO does not support DDR4 RAM.

Upgrading to 32GB of RAM won't even change anything. It will be barely noticeable in your case.

Agreed. I have a buddy who's a graphic designer, and he doesn't exceed the 8GB his computer has. Everyone's usage is different. We're just trying to make sure that you're not buying RAM you don't need.

Again, the 4 sticks thing isn't an issue. It's a very small subset of situations where it makes a tiny difference. Is it PREFERABLE to have 2 sticks, yes. But the biggest reason for that is so you have slots to add to later (there are a few less important reasons). It's certainly not a dealbreaker.

True memory usage can be tricky to get right when comparing systems/memory capacity since Windows KNOWS how much memory the system has and acts accordingly.
If you have 8GBs of RAM and are at near 7GBs usage (don't know the actual number - just an example), Windows will actively limit RAM usage to try to conserve RAM. If you throw 16GBs of RAM at the exact same scenario you'd probably be using 8-9GBs of RAM because there's no 'risk' of running out of RAM, from Windows' perspective.

If you have 16GBs of RAM, and NEVER get above 14.5GBs when running Photoshop, I would say that memory isn't a major concern. If you do decide to upgrade, you'll need a matching 32GB set (either 4x8 or 2x16) of memory that is on your motherboard's QVL to make sure it will work. Even if you get the exact same 2x8 memory you currently have, it's not guaranteed to work. If you just get any old 2x8GB set, even if it's compatible with your motherboard, you will most likely have issues. That's if you can get it to work at all.

^this.
Most programs will throw things in RAM (VRAM same way) if there's free space, but that doesn't mean they NEED to have everything that they're allocating. Within reason of course, and some programs are better/ worse than others with this.

drandy2019

Reputable
Dec 8, 2019
Agreed. I have a buddy who's a graphic designer, and he doesn't exceed the 8GB his computer has. Everyone's usage is different. We're just trying to make sure that you're not buying RAM you don't need.

Again, the 4 sticks thing isn't an issue. It's a very small subset of situations where it makes a tiny difference. Is it PREFERABLE to have 2 sticks, yes. But the biggest reason for that is so you have slots to add to later (there are a few less important reasons). It's certainly not a dealbreaker.
That's a good point and I appreciate your advice.

drandy2019

Reputable
Dec 8, 2019
@tennis2 @alceryes @Nemesia Well, my concern is the speed of my PC. That's why I wanted to see if the RAM was the issue. I use a lot of programs at the same time. Visual Studio (Programming Language), Photoshop and internet browsers.

So, my only question now is, what would be my solution for a faster PC; faster program without lag or freezing. Is my CPU the problem or the GPU?

My PC Build:
Motherboard: ASUS Gryphon Z87 LGA
GPU: Geforce GTX 970 Gaming 4GB
CPU: Intel i7-4770
RAM: 16GB DDR3
Power Supply: 750W

What is the make & model of your SSD?
I see no reason NOT to have all your programs on the SSD. Put your documents/pictures/videos etc on the HDD.

If you've seemingly got very little on the SSD, you could do a reformat to start over clean. There's gotta be some process(es) that are bogging things down.

I agree with @tennis2. Put all your programs on the SSD to ensure the best performance. Your huge data/video/ audio/project files you can keep on the slow HDD.

How much memory is Windows reporting used when you have Photoshop and other programs open? Also, when it 'slows down', is task manager reporting a 100% usage on your disks?

drandy2019

Reputable
Dec 8, 2019
What is the make & model of your SSD?
I see no reason NOT to have all your programs on the SSD. Put your documents/pictures/videos etc on the HDD.

If you've seemingly got very little on the SSD, you could do a reformat to start over clean. There's gotta be some process(es) that are bogging things down.
The reason is because of lack of memory. I only have like 200GB free on my SSD. Programs like Cinema 4d and Photoshop takes a lot of memory throughout the time. I also got my OS installed there and I really don't want to reinstall it. I have had many bad experience doing that before.

drandy2019

Reputable
Dec 8, 2019
@alceryes @tennis2 Right now with only internet browsers open, the RAM usage is at 50%. With Photoshop and browsers tabs is 62%. With Cinema 4d and the others open, the usage is 65%. Now, if I have visual studio the usage is close to 70%. I believe that is the maximum for my programs unless I start to use more of them at the same time.

For the disk, do you mean the performance on task manager? For Disk 3 (which is my SSD where the OS is installed) It says 1%. Disk 2 (where most of the programs are install) goes from 0 to 5%.
The CPU performance it changes between 5 to 20%.