[SOLVED] Upgrading RAM in odd memory capacity, will it work ?

Aug 23, 2020
Hi,

I am upgrading DDR2 RAM capacity in my DG41RQ as 2 GB (installed one) with 4 GB (going to buy) so totally 6 GB RAM.
in odd memory capacity with same frequency. will it work better than just 2 GB or not
or
should i go 2 + 2 GB

System config
Intel E7500 processor with DG41RQ MB
2 GB 800 MHz
Windows 7 pro x64

My MB supports 8GB max memory that is 2x4GB.

I know its a old pc but i have no choice. need to prepare for my online classes with 2 days.

Last edited:
Solution
It is not impossible, but not guaranteed. It might work but it is 50/50.... if you want to spent $ on a lottery ticket go ahead, but you asked WOULD it work and I wrote above it "may not" so the decision is yours. Only RAM sticks sold in kits are sure of working together out of the box.

Also laptops have a very different internal structure and RAM to your older mobo, the CPU also plays a roll in whether the RAM can run or not..... you can't compare apples and oranges
Probably not, RAM is sold in kits as they are tested and guaranteed to work. You could get a RAM kit this week and get another with the same timings, speed, maker model etc next week but they may not work together as they are made from a seperate silicon batch that may have a slightly different voltage tolerance for example. If you need more RAM get the 4 gb and leave out the 2 gb that is in.

On that board you can have maximum 8GB of DDR2 (long time since I wrote that), at a blistering 800mhz.

DDR2 RAM is cheap on e-bay or something like it, so have a look around.

Reactions: jacobroger
Aug 23, 2020
Probably not, RAM is sold in kits as they are tested and guaranteed to work. You could get a RAM kit this week and get another with the same timings, speed, maker model etc next week but they may not work together as they are made from a seperate silicon batch that may have a slightly different voltage tolerance for example. If you need more RAM get the 4 gb and leave out the 2 gb that is in.

On that board you can have maximum 8GB of DDR2 (long time since I wrote that), at a blistering 800mhz.

DDR2 RAM is cheap on e-bay or something like it, so have a look around.
but you know my friend's laptop has 4 (kingstone) + 2 GB RAM(hynix) with same speed,timing,voltage. im curious how could that be working well ?
its dell inspiron 3537 i3

It is not impossible, but not guaranteed. It might work but it is 50/50.... if you want to spent $ on a lottery ticket go ahead, but you asked WOULD it work and I wrote above it "may not" so the decision is yours. Only RAM sticks sold in kits are sure of working together out of the box.

Also laptops have a very different internal structure and RAM to your older mobo, the CPU also plays a roll in whether the RAM can run or not..... you can't compare apples and oranges

Reactions: jacobroger
Solution