[SOLVED] Upgrading ram question

Mytic

Commendable
Oct 23, 2019
I’ve upgraded from 16gb to 32gb via 4x8 sticks. I’ve used my old sticks of ram that are running at 3000mhz with a timing of 16-17-17-36 and added two new sticks running at 3200mhz at 16-16-18-36 Upon installing I put the ram in the bios at 3000mhz as I know it won’t goto 3200 without over clocking but I keep getting blue screens when I managed to actually load as sometimes it just won’t run at all. What can I do to fix this or should I just buy 2 more sticks of 3200mhz that I have just bought?
The motherboard is an ASUS prime b450m a

Solution
you should return the kit you just purchased and get a nice 32GB kit.

it is never recommended to mix different sets of memory because a large portion of the time this type of situation is exactly what happens.
even if the system boots and can run the OS there's still a large chance that the modules will not perfectly sync and there may be other instability or performance issues.

you can attempt manually setting speed to 3000MHz with 16-17-18-36 but that would've made paying extra for the 3200MHz a waste of money.

it is never recommended to mix different sets of memory because a large portion of the time this type of situation is exactly what happens.
even if the system boots and can run the OS there's still a large chance that the modules will not perfectly sync and there may be other instability or performance issues.

you can attempt manually setting speed to 3000MHz with 16-17-18-36 but that would've made paying extra for the 3200MHz a waste of money.

Solution

Mytic

Commendable
Oct 23, 2019

The 3200mhz was surprisingly cheaper than if i was to buy the same 3000 mhz kit and i was just gonna run it at 3000 any ways due to the old ram being that. how would i change the timings. I might just run the new 16gb for now and order another 2x8 of the same. Is this worth doing if i cant get it to stop blue screening

I might just run the new 16gb for now and order another 2x8 of the same. Is this worth doing if i cant get it to stop blue screening