Question Upgrading RAM...Won't Boot

Mar 16, 2024
Hey all,

So I wanted to help a buddy and upgrade his PC from 16gb of ram to 32. I had some old DDR4 laying around and figured it would work no problem. But when he installed it his PC would just keep restarting on a loop and nothing showed on his monitor.

His Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro

Old RAM vs. New RAM: View: https://imgur.com/a/cMgQedB

The timing is obviously different and the new RAM has a slightly higher frequency but I cant see why that would be causing this issue? One thing he did notice is that on the "new" RAMs box it does say "perfect choice for your AMD platform". He is using an Intel processor but it also says XMP 2.0 ready on the sticker. I know the RAM isnt faulty because it was in my old PC

Anyways I'm feeling kind of bad that the RAM I gave him isnt working and was hoping you guys could help me out. Thanks!

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Does he still have the 3200 ram? Put those back, making sure it still boots. Just checking ram is being properly seated. After that check and it boots, enter bios and restore bios to defaults - so there's no prior memory settings set for the 3200 ram. Then power down and install the 32gb kit.

Mar 16, 2024
Does he still have the 3200 ram? Put those back, making sure it still boots. Just checking ram is being properly seated. After that check and it boots, enter bios and restore bios to defaults - so there's no prior memory settings set for the 3200 ram. Then power down and install the 32gb kit.
How do I restore the BIOS to default? Everything I looked up made it seem like on that motherboard I had to 'short' the CMOS pins and he's too afraid to do that