Question upgrading ryzen 5 5600 to ryzen 7 5700x3d will improve 0,1% and 1% lows fps?

Ramiro.Giorgi

Commendable
Jul 26, 2021
hey guys! so lately been encountered issues with my build. my fps are not the best when gaming AAA like remnant 2 or starfield at 1080p high-ultra settings with an r5 5600 + 6700 xt. with this i mean that every last gen games i play i have stable framerate of 60 plus fps and then spikes of low frames like 30ish or 45 frames, which is really anoying. is this becouse the gpu is just not fast enough anymore or its my cpu the one to blame? My goal is to play the latest AAA games, and the ones to come, in 1080p high or ultra settings with 60-60+ fps all the time, and becouse of that, i wondered if upgrading to a good 3dv cache cpu, like the 5700x3d, is a good coice to improve my 1% or 0,1% lows or i just have to keep my cpu and upgrade to a better gpu(i was thinking to the rx 6800 non xt becouse of the vram and the 256 memory bus). Im asking this becouse i read in reddit that a mid tier gpu wont take advantage of the 3dv cache of the 5700x3d. What do you guys think?

Link to my whole rig in pc part picker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WGLYxH

Thanks!

Lutfij

Titan
XFX P1-650X-XXB9 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
How old is the PSU in your build?

BIOS version for your motherboard? Where are your games installed/stored on? This might be worth a view/read. If you're looking at ultra settings then you should be looking at a higher pedigree platform. The upgrades you've mentioned above aren't exactly vertical upgrades, they're more like horizontal upgrades.

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost
is this becouse the gpu is just not fast enough anymore
it should be able to hit the low-mid level performance you seem to be expecting.

i was using an RX 6700 XT for a short time with my current setup and even in Cyberpunk 2070 i could pretty easily maintain a stable 60+fps at 3440x1440 with a mix of graphics settings from low-ultra.

though moving up to the RTX 3080 Ti did make a huge difference.
now i can very easily have the majority of settings at their highest levels with even more advanced graphical mods installed.

also getting a stable 120fps in Starfield with mostly maxed settings and more graphical mods.
wondered if upgrading to a good 3dv cache cpu, like the 5700x3d, is a good choice...What do you guys think?
i wouldn't say it's a great choice for gaming into the future.
and the RX 6800 is still pretty much in the mid tier level of GPUs, similar to the 6700 XT.

as games get more advanced and may require more advanced processing this system is going to continue to show it's low-mid tiered quality.

Reactions: Ramiro.Giorgi

Ramiro.Giorgi

Commendable
Jul 26, 2021
XFX P1-650X-XXB9 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
How old is the PSU in your build?

BIOS version for your motherboard? Where are your games installed/stored on? This might be worth a view/read. If you're looking at ultra settings then you should be looking at a higher pedigree platform. The upgrades you've mentioned above aren't exactly vertical upgrades, they're more like horizontal upgrades.
I just saw the video you mention. Basically it says that is a problem with the game engine and we have to wait for future updates hahah. So you really dont think its my cpu the problem just the platform? Like if i get the newer ryzen 5 7600x that has a similar performance to a 5800 x3d paired with a 7700xt maybe, that would do the trick? Also my i bough my psu in 2015 it is a bit old, but why is it an issue? It runs fine to me power wise. And it just about the wattage recomendations.
I just noticed that motherboard bios isnt updated to the last update. Could that be a problem.
Games are stored in 1tb ssd nvme drive.

Ramiro.Giorgi

Commendable
Jul 26, 2021
it should be able to hit the low-mid level performance you seem to be expecting.

i was using an RX 6700 XT for a short time with my current setup and even in Cyberpunk 2070 i could pretty easily maintain a stable 60+fps at 3440x1440 with a mix of graphics settings from low-ultra.

though moving up to the RTX 3080 Ti did make a huge difference.
now i can very easily have the majority of settings at their highest levels with even more advanced graphical mods installed.

also getting a stable 120fps in Starfield with mostly maxed settings and more graphical mods.

i wouldn't say it's a great choice for gaming into the future.
and the RX 6800 is still pretty much in the mid tier level of GPUs, similar to the 6700 XT.

as games get more advanced and may require more advanced processing this system is going to continue to show it's low-mid tiered quality.

Cyberpunk runs well on the rx 6700 xt, i dont have any complain. But is a 2020 game. The problem starts when i try to run latest AAA games like the ones i mentioned. I know that starfield is broken, but other games like remnant (UE5 TITLE) are not. Now im just wondering if i have to upgrade to a next gen graphic card like 7700xt and thats it... but that would be a bumer, couse i lile my 6700 xt and cant really afford a better gpu right now, not like a cpu, wich i can.

I know that starfield is broken
haven't had a single issue engine-wise in ~20 hours.
the only problems i've encountered are some dialogue and mission glitches.
runs great and looks great on the latest couple builds.

im just wondering if i have to upgrade to a next gen graphic card like 7700xt and thats it... but that would be a bumer, couse i lile my 6700 xt and cant really afford a better gpu right now, not like a cpu, wich i can
you will be able to crank up graphics settings with a better GPU,
but i doubt you'd see much noticeable fps improvement without stepping up the CPU quite a bit.

the newer ryzen 5 7600x
that's still a ~mid level gaming CPU,
it should provide some better FPS than the 5600, but still not much for looking into the future.

i bough my psu in 2015 it is a bit old, but why is it an issue? It runs fine to me power wise
it would be an issue because power supplies age and start to show their age by not being able to provide reliable steady power, especially when in heavy use like gaming or other stressful scenarios.

just because your system can power on and stay on doesn't mean that connected components are getting a steady stream of necessary power provided.

i believe these were outsourced from Seasonic and were pretty well built but 9 years is a long time to rely on one, especially if gaming regularly.
you could run some OSD showing provided CPU & GPU power while gaming just to ensure it's still putting out well.

Ramiro.Giorgi

Commendable
Jul 26, 2021
haven't had a single issue engine-wise in ~20 hours.
the only problems i've encountered are some dialogue and mission glitches.
runs great and looks great on the latest couple builds.

you will be able to crank up graphics settings with a better GPU,
but i doubt you'd see much noticeable fps improvement without stepping up the CPU quite a bit.

that's still a ~mid level gaming CPU,
it should provide some better FPS than the 5600, but still not much for looking into the future.
Then i dont understand what you are telling me. You are saying that is not a problem of cpu, its a problem of the plattaform and i should upgrade both cpu and gpu?

Ramiro.Giorgi

Commendable
Jul 26, 2021
it would be an issue because power supplies age and start to show their age by not being able to provide reliable steady power, especially when in heavy use like gaming or other stressful scenarios.

just because your system can power on and stay on doesn't mean that connected components are getting a steady stream of necessary power provided.

i believe these were outsourced from Seasonic and were pretty well built but 9 years is a long time to rely on one, especially if gaming regularly.
you could run some OSD showing provided CPU & GPU power while gaming just to ensure it's still putting out well.
Ok, i can do that...what should i look for in the OSD. i mean, the power draw?

i dont understand what you are telling me. You are saying that is not a problem of cpu, its a problem of the plattaform and i should upgrade both cpu and gpu?
considering that many AAA games are getting more advanced and stating max requirements with higher tiered CPUs;
then going into the future a much better CPU would be necessary.
same with in-game graphics options and a higher tiered GPU.

/

if you're happy with your current in-game settings and just want to maximize frame rates
go with a nice R7 ****X3D or i7-1*700K.

if you don't want to move up to a higher platform until later,
just get the highest tiered CPU that fits your current chipset.
there are many performance comparison charts/sites out there.

Ramiro.Giorgi

Commendable
Jul 26, 2021
considering that many AAA games are getting more advanced and stating max requirements with higher tiered CPUs;
then going into the future a much better CPU would be necessary.
same with in-game graphics options and a higher tiered GPU.

/

if you're happy with your current in-game settings and just want to maximize frame rates
go with a nice R7 ****X3D or i7-1*700K.

if you don't want to move up to a higher platform until later,
just get the highest tiered CPU that fits your current chipset.
there are many performance comparison charts/sites out there.
So you think that my rx 6700 xt will benefit from an 5700x3d? Thats my question

Your system would benefit from a CPU upgrade, especially X3D, but it's not going to be a night and day situation. It would improve your minimum frame rates even with your existing video card, but I'm not sure it would be enough for maximum graphics type situation.

I usually prefer to balance out my system, but there's no denying you can brute force performance to some degree just by having a better video card. If you only have the funds to upgrade CPU or video card then video card would likely be the better choice.

Ramiro.Giorgi

Commendable
Jul 26, 2021
Your system would benefit from a CPU upgrade, especially X3D, but it's not going to be a night and day situation. It would improve your minimum frame rates even with your existing video card, but I'm not sure it would be enough for maximum graphics type situation.

I usually prefer to balance out my system, but there's no denying you can brute force performance to some degree just by having a better video card. If you only have the funds to upgrade CPU or video card then video card would likely be the better choice.
Okay, thx for the answer. I think its just better to stick with the 5600, and save the money for a better graphics card. The thing is that 4000 series graphics card are really overpriced here in argentina, were i live. I was thinking of upgrading to a rx 6800, that would give me the amount of performance im looking for right now (60+ fps in every AAA title) but i dont know for how long it will last .thats my current preocupation haha. Thx for the answer again.

I was thinking of upgrading to a rx 6800, that would give me the amount of performance im looking for right now (60+ fps in every AAA title) but i dont know for how long it will last .thats my current preocupation haha.
Yeah I understand that and I've certainly run into games that are being held back on the minimums by my CPU.

Here's some data that while you can't perfectly extrapolate to your circumstance does show the maximum benefits:

With no realistic CPU bottleneck there's an improvement of about 18% in minimums at 1080p going from a 6700XT to 6800:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4080-super-founders-edition/38.html

With no realistic GPU bottleneck there's an improvement of about 20% in minimums at 1080p going from a 5600 to 5800X3D:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i9-14900ks/21.html