Question Upgrading Ryzen 7 3700X to Ryzen 7 5800X3D or upgrade to 7000

Voted no because there’s not enough information. What are the full current specs including make model and age of power supply? Short answer is it could be worth it if your board, psu etc are up to par. If they aren’t and you are on a budget, something like a 5700x and psu or gpu might be a better upgrade path for you.

Reactions: Nighthawk117
Agree, it depends on the rest of the system and even the Hz of the monitor. I had a 3700x paired with a 3080 and a 1440p 144Hz monitor. It worked great. I then upgraded to 1440p 240Hz and it soon became apparent the cpu was a bit limiting. I then switched to a 5800x3D and it was a good upgrade.

I don’t see the point of going 7000 series when it doesn’t offer any meaningful gains over the 5800x3D and would cost significantly more.

I voted no because the 3700X is still a good CPU and it's paired with a 2070 Super. It would be helpful to know more about your workload, such as what refresh rate you game at and what else you do with your computer. If it were me I would be reluctant to upgrade a 3700X to a 5800X3D, though the latter is significantly faster in games with the right GPU. It's just not a huge upgrade elsewhere. If you just want the best frames possible then the 5800X3D is a drop in replacement so it might be a good fit. If your doing a complete upgrade then my personal rule is to get double the raw performance of whatever you have, a 7700X is less than twice as powerful so I would suggest a 7900X if you can afford it. Really though to get the most out of any of them unless your playing esports titles your going to need a new GPU and PSU. Suddenly the upgrade then becomes quite expensive.

I voted to go to the 5800X3d because it's a drop-in upgrade and easily the most cost effective way to achieve top-tier gaming performance from where you're at. Going with a 7000 processor is not really cost effective at the moment because the AM5 platform cost (cpu, motherboard, ddr5 memory) is still too high. By saving some money you can wait out the inevitable price drops that are coming and jump in when it's more economical.

But...you have to be doing this for gaming only and if looking for high-FPS/ high-refresh gaming. Your current CPU (3700X) is more than good enough for great triple-A gaming at 1440p if you give up the notion you need a steady 144FPS in CyberPunk just to match your refresh rate.