Feb 25, 2024
As in title i want to upgrade SSD storage in my Asus Vivobook s510un. I have ssd connected to M2 2280 port which operates in SATA III.
I read i documentation that my slots are:
2x DDR4 SO-DIMM slots
1x M.2 2280 PCIe 3.0x2
1x M.2 2280 SATA3

1x STD 2.5” SATA HDD
I assume that bold ones refer to the same slot.
I want to buy ssd in good value for money and I have though about Solidigm P44 Pro 512 GB
https://www.techpowerup.com/ssd-specs/solidigm-p44-pro-512-gb.d1125
I know that it operates in PCIe 4.0 x4 but If I'm not mislead PCIe 4.0 works with PCIe 3.0 will it work even though my slot is x2 and ssd is x4 lanes?
Other question is will it connect? I heard about "keys": "B", "M" my old ssd has B+M but idk how to check what key do i have I'm my slot even ASUS support could tell me.

I know i will not full use the performence of mentioned ssd, but i want ssd that i will transfer to new laptop in 2,3 years is it good choice with that in mind?

Thanks in advance for replies. Apologise for my bad english.
Greatings from Poland :)

USAFRet

Titan
The PCIe 3.0 x2 interface will be little better than a SATA III SSD, no matter what drive you put in it.
If at all.

Unless you are wanting an increase in size, don't bother.

Wanting a drive for a new laptop in 2-3 years? Buy one then.
Whatever specific drive you buy today will almost certainly be less expensive in 3 years.

Feb 25, 2024
The problem is ssd that I have, have some biiig issues. I can partition it. Even after running dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=1M
and trying many things, i have input/output errors, smartctl shows that disk is healthy, but I'm sick and tired of trying to learn gpt/mrb partitioning, i frequently get error that superblock at some 0x... sector is invalid etc. so I gave up. Thanks for asnwering. Only thing i can do i can go to proffesionals for checking my ssd disk.

USAFRet

Titan
The problem is ssd that I have, have some biiig issues. I can partition it. Even after running dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=1M
and trying many things, i have input/output errors, smartctl shows that disk is healthy, but I'm sick and tired of trying to learn gpt/mrb partitioning, i frequently get error that superblock at some 0x... sector is invalid etc. so I gave up. Thanks for asnwering. Only thing i can do i can go to proffesionals for checking my ssd disk.
Then the best thing is to just replace it.

Personally, I would just go with another SATA III SSD.
Known compatibility.

Full OS and application reinstall, and recover your personal data from whatever backup you have.

Feb 25, 2024
I bought Samsung 870 evo connected it to SATA and now I'am installing windows. I only went to diskpart and cleaned it formated as ntfs, and create partition primary.
Is it like plug and play? To be honest I did not catch up with current PC's, electronics, digital electronicts, and so on, but i see in the internet that sometimes there is some software involved in maintaining your ssd in good helath, IDK, just want to be sure that it is working and i am using its capabilities fully. Do you recommend some actions aftern installing windows, do i have to do some weird stuff. like IDK change some option in BIOS or whatever install something, change something in windows setting :) ?

I bought Samsung 870 evo connected it to SATA and now I'am installing windows. I only went to diskpart and cleaned it formated as ntfs, and create partition primary.
You only have to clean it. Do not create any partitions manually. Install process will create partitions as necessary.

If you decide to do it manually, then several partitions have to be created in specific configuration.
If you create wrong partition configuration, install process will fail.

dep-win10-partitions-uefi.png

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/w...t-based-hard-drive-partitions?view=windows-11

TRENDING THREADS