Upgrading System from Intel to Amd

Oct 31, 2022
Hello everyone!
Thank you in advance to everyone will reply to this ;)

I actually have my I5 9600k a bit overclocked as well and in pair with my rtx 3060ti, I noticed some bottleneck mainly in certain kind of game really heavy on the GPU of course.
So I decided to upgarde to a Ryzen 7 5800X and of course I will now need to change the Mobo as well so I thought that might couse some problem with drivers comunication if I do not reinstall windows11.
Apparently is always the best option to reinstall and I am totally willing for it BUT, I would like to keep my files and I was wandering which one is the best way to manage that.
The OS is on an SSd, but I have one hard disk, M2 drive and another ssd, do I need to do something for this drives as well or they will be perfectly functioning?
Most imoprtant, How should I face the swap about windows on that main ssd?

Appriciate

USAFRet

Titan
Fresh install of the OS on the desired drive.
Full wipe and reinstall.

(WIn 11 install is 99% the same as 10)

Oct 31, 2022
Simply copy your personal files to some other physical drive.
That one is offline during this whole parts swap and OS reinstall.
Copy them back later.
Ok so I just like copy the folders I want from Programs (x86) or the traditional Program folder to another drive and that's it?
Then erase Local C? Changing cpu, mobo and install windows from an usb drive for example?

USAFRet

Titan
Ok so I just like copy the folders I want from Programs (x86) or the traditional Program folder to another drive and that's it?
Then erase Local C? Changing cpu, mobo and install windows from an usb drive for example?
Nooooo....

Your personal files only.
And then, not even the Libraries of Documents/Pictures/Videos....just the files within them.

NOT the applications that live in ProgramFiles.
Those are not transferable between OS installs.

Oct 31, 2022
Read through that tutorial a time or two.
Ask more questions if anything is unclear.
Allright I read it, I'm just going to summarize what I understood really breafly so that you can stop me if I'm incorrect, appriciate you help a lot!
I will copy to another drive the few files I have on the desktop and I will otherwise take note of my current essentials programs that I will then reinstall on my new system. After that I remove all the other Sata drives I have so that they do not go in conflict with the execution. I make my usb a bootable device with windows 11 iso on it, I go in to the bios and switch to Uefi in order to avoid any misscomunication between the drives. Choose that one as main drive in order to launch the clean installation. after I go trough everything, I install gpu drivers and all that, I then then shut everything down, re-connect my others sata and they should work properly, is that right? Sorry for the long reply

USAFRet

Titan
Allright I read it, I'm just going to summarize what I understood really breafly so that you can stop me if I'm incorrect, appriciate you help a lot!
I will copy to another drive the few files I have on the desktop and I will otherwise take note of my current essentials programs that I will then reinstall on my new system. After that I remove all the other Sata drives I have so that they do not go in conflict with the execution. I make my usb a bootable device with windows 11 iso on it, I go in to the bios and switch to Uefi in order to avoid any misscomunication between the drives. Choose that one as main drive in order to launch the clean installation. after I go trough everything, I install gpu drivers and all that, I then then shut everything down, re-connect my others sata and they should work properly, is that right? Sorry for the long reply
Mostly, yes.

Prepare your Win 11 USB now, before you start down this road.

When ready, power off, restart, and boot from that USB you created.
Continue on....

Reactions: Haracarlo

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
Hello everyone!
Thank you in advance to everyone will reply to this ;)

I actually have my I5 9600k a bit overclocked as well and in pair with my rtx 3060ti, I noticed some bottleneck mainly in certain kind of game really heavy on the GPU of course.
So I decided to upgarde to a Ryzen 7 5800X and of course I will now need to change the Mobo as well so I thought that might couse some problem with drivers comunication if I do not reinstall windows11.
Apparently is always the best option to reinstall and I am totally willing for it BUT, I would like to keep my files and I was wandering which one is the best way to manage that.
The OS is on an SSd, but I have one hard disk, M2 drive and another ssd, do I need to do something for this drives as well or they will be perfectly functioning?

Appriciate
If i was going to throw my 2 cents in here ..
To start i have the 5800x3d its great cpu BUT if i was building now i would look at the future AM4 is kinda a waste at this point the beauty of the 5800x3d and what makes it a great buy is for those already with a AM4 platform..
otherwise even at the higher cost of ddr5 and a new platform AM5 is the smarter option at this point ( 100% im not aware of youre disposable income )
with a 7600 non x and a solid b650 AM5 platform dont skimp on the ram go the cl30 6000 sweet spot for zen 4 best of the best then there is a solid foundation to build on for a few generations !!
non x 7600 are cheaper a good quality b650 is not to bad the cl30 6000 can be pricey but think of a few years down the track when youre slapping a 9000series cpu into your AM5 board !!

Oct 31, 2022
Mostly, yes.

Prepare your Win 11 USB now, before you start down this road.

When ready, power off, restart, and boot from that USB you created.
Continue on....
I'll add, to be 100% sure :grimacing: : When ready, power off, change cpu and mobo, restart and boot from that usb I created. Right? thanks man, I just want to be absolutely sure to do things correctly, I'm kind of scared I won't be able to get in the bios for idk whatever reason.

Oct 31, 2022
If i was going to throw my 2 cents in here ..
To start i have the 5800x3d its great cpu BUT if i was building now i would look at the future AM4 is kinda a waste at this point the beauty of the 5800x3d and what makes it a great buy is for those already with a AM4 platform..
otherwise even at the higher cost of ddr5 and a new platform AM5 is the smarter option at this point ( 100% im not aware of youre disposable income )
with a 7600 non x and a solid b650 AM5 platform dont skimp on the ram go the cl30 6000 sweet spot for zen 4 best of the best then there is a solid foundation to build on for a few generations !!
non x 7600 are cheaper a good quality b650 is not to bad the cl30 6000 can be pricey but think of a few years down the track when youre slapping a 9000series cpu into your AM5 board !!
What you say make total sense my friend but unfortuantely that was the most affordable option for me that will allow me at least, to have a more stable system considering that this I5 is struggling a bit. I am aware that I could have gone for the X3d but is 100£ more and... I don't know I prefer cpu and mobo brand new so even the used option was not really considered, as well as some doubts with my Noctua Nh D15, which is a good boy but I don't know how it will behave with the 7600, still everything sounded sexy I'm not going to lie :sneaky:

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
I'll add, to be 100% sure :grimacing: : When ready, power off, change cpu and mobo, restart and boot from that usb I created. Right? thanks man, I just want to be absolutely sure to do things correctly, I'm kind of scared I won't be able to get in the bios for idk whatever reason.
Yes.

The only way you can't get into the BIOS, is if the current motherboard and BIOS is incompatible with your new CPU.

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
What you say make total sense my friend but unfortuantely that was the most affordable option for me that will allow me at least, to have a more stable system considering that this I5 is struggling a bit. I am aware that I could have gone for the X3d but is 100£ more and... I don't know I prefer cpu and mobo brand new so even the used option was not really considered, as well as some doubts with my Noctua Nh D15, which is a good boy but I don't know how it will behave with the 7600, still everything sounded sexy I'm not going to lie :sneaky:
The d15 will be fine on a 7600 ..
i was using the stock 7600x with a 420mm arctic and its still warm 85c R23 cinebench all core but they are made to boost to 95c..
My logic is kinda best bang with future proofing!!

That said i totally understand that people need to buy within their budget and ive got the 5800x3d in a MSI mag x570 tomahawk wifi absolute champion board ( its seen a 3700x 5600x and the 5800x3d ) if you find one of them for youre build 100% recommended !!
best of luck with your build !

Oct 31, 2022
The d15 will be fine on a 7600 ..
i was using the stock 7600x with a 420mm arctic and its still warm 85c R23 cinebench all core but they are made to boost to 95c..
My logic is kinda best bang with future proofing!!

That said i totally understand that people need to buy within their budget and ive got the 5800x3d in a MSI mag x570 tomahawk wifi absolute champion board ( its seen a 3700x 5600x and the 5800x3d ) if you find one of them for youre build 100% recommended !!
best of luck with your build !
Appriciate man! I'm pairing it with a msi B550 MPG Gaming Plus, which is not a beast but I found it at a good price so... there you go, honestly I'm really taking this as a little boost and so I can actually have a reason to unplug everything, give it a nice clean and restore this windows that is running for too long... I'll let you know how it goes and if I'll get 99% Gpu usage... I hope so!

If you are able to do a clean windows install easily, that is the way to go.
You may not have a choice. Intel and amd drivers are different, and you are unlikely to be able to boot your intel os on a amd platform.
Intel to Intel is more likely to work.

Then, since budget is an issue, consider changing to something like a I5-13400 which performs approximately equivalent to the 5800X and costs a bit less also.
Here is a review:
Your current DDR4 ram will work.
Ryzen is picky about ram so there is no guarantee that your current ram will work.

The NH-D15 is a great cooler, and Noctua will send you a free lga1700 upgrade kit.

Oct 31, 2022
If you are able to do a clean windows install easily, that is the way to go.
You may not have a choice. Intel and amd drivers are different, and you are unlikely to be able to boot your intel os on a amd platform.
Intel to Intel is more likely to work.

Then, since budget is an issue, consider changing to something like a I5-13400 which performs approximately equivalent to the 5800X and costs a bit less also.
Here is a review:
Your current DDR4 ram will work.
Ryzen is picky about ram so there is no guarantee that your current ram will work.

The NH-D15 is a great cooler, and Noctua will send you a free lga1700 upgrade kit.
That's another valid possibility I didn't really tought about, I am a bit worried about my RAM now :LOL: hopefully they will be allright. About the Noctua I was just wondering about the mounting kit for AM4, I do have this kit : NM-AMB8 and it looks really similar to the actual AM4 one so hopefully even that is another issue to do not consider...

Oct 31, 2022
Ahyo! Just wanted to thank everyone for your help, everything working, at the beginning it did recognize windows and booted normally but I still re-installed to get the best experience ;)

Andrew Fox

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2015

Appriciate

Windows XP/7 had a lot of problems where you had to get in and do some registry editing and fighting with drivers to get the OS to accept the new hardware, Windows 8/8.1 became a little better at this but Windows 10 onwards is very happy about booting on totally different hardware, they have abstracted the hardware stack a bit and numerous hardware configurations are now stored in the registry so you can switch between systems entirely with the same install it's got a very good success rate now, your new hardware should boot fine.

I routinely clone from one set of hardware to another in my daily job (multiple machines every week) and it's quite rare for any issue to occur with Win10/11 doing this. I am cloning old 2/3rd gen intel systems to AMD laptops etc the biggest issue is if you go from a normal drive to an nvme drive you need to get into the registry using a windows boot usb or recovery mode and enable the stornvme driver as windows has it disabled, everything else all good though.

I did something similar to what you are posting about here and switched my personal system from an i7 6700k with a GTX 1080 to a Ryzen 3900x and 6950xt and everything just works. I would uninstall any motherboard specific software you loaded on from the manufacturer site before you switch as they won't be compatible with the new board (fan controllers, RGB lighting, overclocking etc) or you will get spammed with incompatible errors each time you start your PC. Sometimes the uninstaller is dumb and contains the hardware check you are supposed to get when attempting the install so it may not be possible to uninstall without the use of something like Revo Uninstaller / Geek Uninstaller.

The biggest issue with your multiple drives is you need to make a note of the drive letters before the switch, since Windows is reinstalling your drives with the new motherboard SATA/NVME controllers you will want to just do the initial boot with only the boot NVME connected so it properly gets assigned as C:, afterwards reconnect all of your drives and go into disk management and switch the drive letters back to how they were on the old board so that any installed software will use the file paths correctly.

Last edited: