Power Supply
700w Tagan SLI Certified

Case
NZXT LEXA BLACKLINE

Operating System:
Windows Vista Home Premium x64

Monitor:
Acer AL2016W @ 1680x1050

Now that's out of the way. I was just playing Empire: Total War, and to my dismay, I realized that even running the game on High, my framerate frequently dipped into the twenties and teens.

my questions are as follows (my budget is roughly $350-400):

Does it make sense to upgrade now, or in a few months (ignoring games, simply from a technology standpoint)?
Should I upgrade video card, mobo, RAM, or cpu (or some other combination)?

Is new hardware coming out in the near future?

I'm not sure what to upgrade while keeping the cost down. My gaming budget until November is roughly $400, that includes games, so if I buy lots of hardware i can't' play anything on it...

The only games that give me issues are Empire: Total War, Crysis(all of em), Far Cry 2, and other games that are technologically advanced.

Sorry for any weird spellings and poor grammar.

MykC

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
Far Cry 2 should run fine on High Settings.

Crysis is limited by your videocard mainly. At 1650x1050 you should be able to play medium with high physics. You can take everything up to high but as soon you get to the town or dockyard areas (places with lots of buildings) your FPS will drop significantly.

I don't have any first hand experience with Empire: Total War but from what I hear a quad core cpu works good with that game.

Ok... so what were you asking? Is it worth it to upgrade? Not really. I'd wait until the next generation of midrange video cards comeout before spending anymoney. You may want upgrade your CPU this time next year to a quadcore.

From a couple of reviews, it looks like your GPU already has pretty high clocks on it. Try overclocking your CPU some (if you haven't), but your GPU may not go much higher. Within the next month, some more GPUs might be coming out that will affect prices. At that time, going to something like a GTX 280/285 or a 4850 X2 might be worthwhile, but as MykC said, at least wait until those new cards are out.