Question Upgrading the drives on a Dell G3 3779 ?

sparker781

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
Good Morning Folks

I am in the process of upgrading my 4 year old Dell G3 3779 laptop. I am trying to figure out if the motherboard can take a newer M.2 PCIe NVMe drive. I have a 256GB SSD installed as my main drive which I also want to upgrade and a 1TB platter drive as my secondary. What is the best course of action? I hear the fan constantly running so I know that I need to do some housecleaning inside as well.

I appreciate the assistance.

sparker781

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
OK, you can swap both of those.

Larger NVMe drive to replace the 128GB Toshiba, and a SATA III SSD to replace the 1TB HDD.

We can go into details of how to effect this swap if you want.

I was looking at an M.2 and a SATA III SSD, IS that possible? And I'd need to clone my current hard drive so when I replace the drive I won't lose any of my data.

USAFRet

Titan
I was looking at an M.2 and a SATA III SSD, IS that possible? And I'd need to clone my current hard drive so when I replace the drive I won't lose any of my data.
Yes, that is exactly the combination I was referring to.

For your data, yes, cloning is a thing.

BUT...."lose any of my data" should never be a thing. Your stuff should already be backed up elsewhere, at all times.

How much free space do you have on the current HDD?

sparker781

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
so just disregard the classes I am good to go with the standard m.2 NVME drive and I can snag a pretty high capacity 2.5" SATA. Perfect. Do you normally purchase online?