Upgrading to 4k 60fps

ijp.vasco

Prominent
Sep 13, 2018
Hey Folks,

So I just bought myself a brand spanking new 4K Sony Bravia TV. When I tried to run games with my current rig it clearly underperformed. While this was expected, I would like some advise on upgrading my current rig without having to donate a kidney. Let me make something clear, I dont want a super duper monster right that can run at 200fps and blast off to the moon. I want something that is future proof and can get me a nice smooth 60fps at 4K resolution. While I know I can spend time fiddling with overclocking and individual game settings I dont particularly want to. I have a full time job and I am a father of 2 so time gaming time needs to be spent gaming and not tinkering!

My Rig:

CPU: Intel i5-4460 3.20GHz QuadCore
M/B: Gigabyte B85N Phoenix ITX
RAM: 16GB
SSD: 120GB (OS only)
HDD: 1TB (old and where my games are running from)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 Superclocked ACX 2.0

I have looked at upgrading from a 970 to a 1060 but I dont see enough of a performance boost to warrant spending money on a new card. Should I buy a 2nd hand 980 Ti? I have also looked at buying a new CPU/MB combo as it is quite old but again did not see enough of a performance increase when looking it up.

Any help here would be great

Solution
GTX970 to GTX1060 is somewhat of a sideways move.
You may well find GTX1080ti cards going for a good price as soon as the new top end RTX-2080ti cards become available.

Some time ago, I had a GTX780 which is about the same as a GTX970.
I bought a 4k monitor with a max refresh rate of 60hz.
The card did reasonably well but not a constant 60 fps playing the various civilization games.
I upgraded to GTX1080ti and now have a solid 60fps.
You probably need a GTX1080 class card to do what you want.

But, there is another possibility, and that is that your cpu is not up to the job.
It will depend on the types of games you play.

Do this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates...
GTX970 to GTX1060 is somewhat of a sideways move.
You may well find GTX1080ti cards going for a good price as soon as the new top end RTX-2080ti cards become available.

Some time ago, I had a GTX780 which is about the same as a GTX970.
I bought a 4k monitor with a max refresh rate of 60hz.
The card did reasonably well but not a constant 60 fps playing the various civilization games.
I upgraded to GTX1080ti and now have a solid 60fps.
You probably need a GTX1080 class card to do what you want.

But, there is another possibility, and that is that your cpu is not up to the job.
It will depend on the types of games you play.

Do this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

Solution
A CPU/MB upgrade won't help much at 4K rez, the main limiting factor will be the graphics card, that said, a used CPU may help, this is the CPU support list: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-B85N-Phoenix-rev-11#support-cpu

A GTX980Ti is going to struggle at 4K rez, as a minimum you'll need to be looking at the GTX1080 class, and even then you'll need to go one, or two levels down from max in the game presets to keep around 60FPS, the only small crumb of comfort here is that prices have dropped significantly over the last couple of months.

Not every game supports 4K rez, and I don't know if your TV will allow this, but try running games at 1920x1080, it scales perfectly from true 4K because its exactly half the vertical and horizontal resolution, add a little extra anti aliasing in the game settings and you'll get decent image quality with better frame rates.