Upgrading to 8 from xp & merge partitions?

jsen

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
Im upgrading from xp 32b pro to 8 and wondering what would be the best way to do it without losing my data.
I have 2 750g hard drives, one is a fresh format (ordered it with windows) and my current is split into a 20gb OS partition (last time i let anyone else touch my computer) and the rest on the other. I'd like my current data mashed up into 1 partition and ill be moving my large files to the fresh drive afterward. So what would be the best way to do this?

jsen

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012

Doesn't updating drivers kinda come after installing your OS?
I've ran the upgrade assistant and my PC checks out but i need to fix my partitioning before I can install Windows

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
You can do pretty much whatever you want with your partitions, including making them bigger or smaller even with XP.
Start > Control Panel > Administrative tools > Computer Management > Storage

There you can shrink or make bigger your partitions. Hell, you can keep WinXP and make your computer multi-boot and keep XP just in case you want to run either one.

henzerani

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
How do you do that then?

Sorry, been reading through old posts looking for how to do exactly that - make my computer multi boot. And if I do can I take the Windows 8 off later?

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS