Question Loud high pitch noise while gaming

apie172

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
In 2023, I did a new build (4090, 13900k, 1300W PSU, 64gb RAM) and it has been working great - playing any and all games at max graphics. Yesterday, a very loud high pitch noise starting coming from the PC when gaming. Initially, I thought it was GPU related and possibly coil whine - however, it is much higher pitched and louder than normal coil whine. I tried several different games, lowering graphics, lower frame rate, v-sync, etc - no luck. So I swapped out the 4090 for a 3080 (borrowed) and the same high pitch noise is coming from the PC.

I am not sure what else to do now. Would this indicate that there is a possible PSU issue?

In 2023, I did a new build (4090, 13900k, 1300W PSU, 64gb RAM) and it has been working great - playing any and all games at max graphics. Yesterday, a very loud high pitch noise starting coming from the PC when gaming. Initially, I thought it was GPU related and possibly coil whine - however, it is much higher pitched and louder than normal coil whine. I tried several different games, lowering graphics, lower frame rate, v-sync, etc - no luck. So I swapped out the 4090 for a 3080 (borrowed) and the same high pitch noise is coming from the PC.

I am not sure what else to do now. Would this indicate that there is a possible PSU issue?
Is the noise coming from the PSU?