[SOLVED] Upgrading to a 2070 Super

Jul 7, 2020
I wanted to see if upgraded to a 2070 Super would cause any issues. My current build is i7-6700 3.4ghz, 16gb ddr4, gtx 970, 500ssd, and 1tb hdd. Any help will be appreciated!

Solution
I don't know, because that isn't a PSU model. But honestly, the majority of 500, 600 and 700w units are old designs. Most modern power supplies that are any good are in capacities of 450, 550, 650, 750, 850w etc. although of course there are ALSO crappy ones with those capacities as well. For EVGA, that 700w unit is LIKELY the EVGA B1 700w bronze, and it's not very good. I would definitely NOT use it with that graphics card.

Yes, power supplies are VERY HARD to come by right now, along with motherboards, CPU coolers, fans and cases. To some degree, also graphics cards, but not as much. That's because of the Covid shut downs both in China and elsewhere, but mostly in China. China shut down most of it's manufacturing and shipping...

ravenscout

Commendable
Nov 21, 2017
I personally don't trust that PSU but, I'm not exactly a certified expert.

The CPU should be fine but, I am not a huge fan of that PSU. I would try to go with ~600W corsair. That guy looks a bit dated.

Jul 7, 2020
I personally don't trust that PSU but, I'm not exactly a certified expert.

The CPU should be fine but, I am not a huge fan of that PSU. I would try to go with ~600W corsair. That guy looks a bit dated.
I have a seasonic ss-600ht active pfc f3 thats just been laying around. Is that any better?

ravenscout

Commendable
Nov 21, 2017
A PSU is not something you really wanna be skimping out on. If the psu isn't great and it shocks the whole PC, or in my case (5 years ago) where it exploded, you're out a whole lot more money cuz the warranty doesn't cover the rest of your parts.

Shocks or exploding are low percentage, unlikely type scenarios, even for the worst of power supplies. Obviously it's something that CAN happen, especially with a really terrible unit, but the far MORE likely problem is simply damage from overcurrent or overpower on a unit that doesn't have adequate protections or even much more likely, damage to graphics card or motherboard capacitors from high levels of ripple.

The Delta is underpowered and shouldn't even be considered for use with that graphics card. The Seasonic, is not one of Seasonic's better offerings and is really only a 432w unit on the 12v rails, which again is not sufficient.

20150503-Seasonic_SS-600HT_1.jpg

You need to find something a lot more reliable and it should be a unit that is somewhere in the neighborhood of 550-650w.

You can use the guide below to help select a unit.

Jul 7, 2020
Shocks or exploding are low percentage, unlikely type scenarios, even for the worst of power supplies. Obviously it's something that CAN happen, especially with a really terrible unit, but the far MORE likely problem is simply damage from overcurrent or overpower on a unit that doesn't have adequate protections or even much more likely, damage to graphics card or motherboard capacitors from high levels of ripple.

The Delta is underpowered and shouldn't even be considered for use with that graphics card. The Seasonic, is not one of Seasonic's better offerings and is really only a 432w unit on the 12v rails, which again is not sufficient.

20150503-Seasonic_SS-600HT_1.jpg

You need to find something a lot more reliable and it should be a unit that is somewhere in the neighborhood of 550-650w.

You can use the guide below to help select a unit.

Would a evga 700w atx12v / eps12v be good? Trying to find something i can pick up in stores it seems like a lot of psu are sold out in stores.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/evga-7...vqBuWheLLiYP8o4hyqcaAp0GEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I don't know, because that isn't a PSU model. But honestly, the majority of 500, 600 and 700w units are old designs. Most modern power supplies that are any good are in capacities of 450, 550, 650, 750, 850w etc. although of course there are ALSO crappy ones with those capacities as well. For EVGA, that 700w unit is LIKELY the EVGA B1 700w bronze, and it's not very good. I would definitely NOT use it with that graphics card.

Yes, power supplies are VERY HARD to come by right now, along with motherboards, CPU coolers, fans and cases. To some degree, also graphics cards, but not as much. That's because of the Covid shut downs both in China and elsewhere, but mostly in China. China shut down most of it's manufacturing and shipping operations, and even that which wasn't shut down would be sitting on containers not going anywhere for most countries because the majority of workers were locked down at home since that type of supply chain really wasn't considered to be "essential".

At the moment, this is probably your least expensive worthwhile option.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9KIFWF?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

You could probably get by with one of these, which is not nearly as bad as some other low end budget models, but to be honest if you want a halfway decent, not even necessarily "good" power supply right now, you are looking at anywhere from 120-160 bucks IF you can find one in stock somewhere. That should be improving in the near future, but I can't say when exactly.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Cougar VTE 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($89.49 @ Amazon)
Total: $89.49
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-08 00:19 EDT-0400

Solution