Nervly

Honorable
Sep 7, 2016
Greetings!

I'm looking into upgrading my VR Rig, which will be used to play VR games(duh) and stream some of them. I don't exactly plan to overclock and I'd like to be able to pump the Supersampling in VR games up to anywhere between 1.5x and 2.0x. (but as they say, the more the merrier)
I live in Portugal (Europe) for pricing reference.

My current specs are as follow:
CPU: Intel i5-6500
GPU:
MSI GTX 1060 3GB ARMOR
RAM:
HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-2400MHz 14CAS
PSU:
SeaSonic S12II 80+ Bronze 430W
MOBO:
Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon
CASE: Nox Hummer MC Zero Edition
HMD: Oculus Rift

My planned specs are as follow:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X or higher
GPU:
RTX 2080 or RTX 2080Ti (Probably EVGA 'cause of their customer support but I'm open to suggestions)
RAM:
G.Skill Trident Z/Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200MHz 14CAS (Accepting other suggestions)
PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000 G3 1000W 80+ Gold
MOBO:
Still haven't done research
CASE: Nox Hummer MC Zero Edition
HMD: Valve Index

I've been told the 2080Ti is too overpriced and it's honestly not a pretty price to look at. I'd like to stay future-proof and get the most performance I can get from VR, especially with increased Supersampling. Supersampling benchmarks on RTX cards seem to be scarce however, it's hard to really know if there would be a huge difference between the 2080 and the 2080Ti in that regard, but considering I'd also have to upgrade my CPU, Motherboard and PSU, the 2080 might be more worth it going for because of its reduced price. What do you think however, do you have any experience or information on this type of comparison regarding Supersampling and these two cards?

How should I choose the motherboard? Besides the basics, I'll need at least a free PCI-e slot for my Inateck USB 3.0 Expansion Card, hopefully the GPU wouldn't block it. I've heard VRMs are an important thing to look at, what are these exactly? Will there be much difference between different motherboards that'll support the new Ryzen CPUs or are they going to be minimal?

Finally, ever since I got my i5-6500, I've always used its stock cooler. I don't plan on overclocking so will the Ryzen's stock cooler be enough? I would otherwise get the Noctua NH-D15 everyone seems to worship ahah But I'd rather save that money if I can get by with just the stock cooler.

I think that's about every question I have, will add more as they come to mind. Let me also know what you think of my planned build.

Thank you!

Wolfshadw

Titan
Given the system requirements for the Valve Index:

System Requirements

OSWindows 10, SteamOS, Linux
RAM8 GB+
GPUNVIDIA GeForce GTX 970+ or AMD RX480+ Available DisplayPort required, HDMI not supported
CPUDual Core with hyperthreading, or better
USB3.0+ for headset cameras
Source

Your current system is more than enough to handle it. If anything, I'd just consider upgrading the graphics card and me, being budget minded, probably wouldn't go for more than a GTX 2070 when paired with your I5-6500. However, if you really feel your processor isn't going to be enough, another option would be to go with something like this (Shopping from Amazon.es):

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Processor (€383.99 @ Amazon Espana)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB XC GAMING Video Card (€759.90 @ Amazon Espana)
Total: €1143.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-09 15:19 CEST+0200

Of course, since the Valve Index isn't going to be released until End of August 2019 (barring any delays), you have plenty of time to see what the market does in the meantime. I'd wait until at most a couple weeks before the Valve Index was due to be released to really consider my buying options.

-Wolf sends

If the gtx 1000 series price dropped, then the RTX line will surely do the same as the pricing is way over inflated. I suspect right around the time Navi comes out along with third Gen Ryzen, you'll see the drop in the RTX line. For VR. I wouldn't invest in upgrading your current platform as it will be limited to 4 cores 8 threads and when third gen Ryzen is released you'll be able to more than quadroople the thread count as triple A gaming titles on Ultra settings wil be sure to make use of the upgrade. Just make sure AMD holds their claims of comming close to matching Intel's single core performance as i'm a bit skeptical. That high IPC/single core performance of intel is imperative for VR rigs.