Upgrading wireless access points

Maz75

Reputable
Feb 26, 2014
I've been tasked with upgrading a wireless n network in a small (ish) school. Currently using wireless g access points. If I buy a wireless n access point is it straight forward to swap them over?

Solution
unless they did something weird originally, then yes.

in fact, with N having better range, you could get away with using fewer points. But with access points/routers being as cheap as they are, just swap each device in place.

how is the current set up? one router with Cat5/6 running to multiple access points?

bliq

Distinguished
unless they did something weird originally, then yes.

in fact, with N having better range, you could get away with using fewer points. But with access points/routers being as cheap as they are, just swap each device in place.

how is the current set up? one router with Cat5/6 running to multiple access points?

Solution

Maz75

Reputable
Feb 26, 2014

Ok here goes, excuse any idiotic explanations, my networking days were over 12 years ago!
In one building there is one router with cat 6 to a wireless access point. this router is also providing fibre optic links to two other buildings (to a switch??), both of which have a cat 6 wire to access points. The larger building also has a small access point acting as a booster. So there are currently 3 access points and booster. The building has been extended so there is a large new area that is now a dead spot.

I've been looking at Netgear Prosafe WNAP320 N300 but am open to suggestions on other things to look at. At the moment there is only ever about 25 users accessing the network wirelessly at one time with about 8 or so wired. But with expansion the school is hoping to be potentiall have 50+ online at one time.

bliq

Distinguished
enterprise wireless isn't really my specialty but first things first. Make sure the wired connections are all at least gigabit. Depending on how much performance is required, you might need to look at switches capable of trunking 2 or 3 ports. it's possible to use a single router and 4 access points. I'm not a fan of "boosters" as the general way they work essentially cuts bandwidth in half. Is laying down new cabling even a possibility?

There's actually several ways of doing this. You could have the router/gateway connected to a switch and then have 2 more switches in each of the other buildings connected to that first switch- sounds like there's already fiber to support high speed connections between buildings. At this point you now have a switch in each building. then hang access points to the switches- two in the larger building, 1 each in the smaller buildings.

Maz75

Reputable
Feb 26, 2014

I don't think I explained the set up very well as what you described sounds like what we have. One router in one building with fibre link to two separate switches in one building and another switch in another building. The AP's are running off network points rather than directly to the switch or router. The boosters were used to get signal to a classroom that had no network points. Why no one put any in or thought to run cable straight to another AP is anyone's guess. It's difficult taking over someone else's handywork. I'm not massively keen on running cabling, partly because I do this for the school part time and quite frankly don't get paid enough. Hence my original question about just being able to plug in and replace the existing AP. In the direction of the classroom with no network points I think the signal will have to reach about 150' albeit through a couple of stud partition walls. I'm hopeful that when I finally decide on a new AP that the range will be good enough not to need any boosters.
I've been looking at the EnGenuis EC350 and 600. I don't know if dual band is necessary but we will eventually want 50 - 60 clients accessing the internet at one time so thought the 600 would be better. But there are just so many to choose from! I've got to have made some decisions about what to buy by Friday, although I can just buy one AP at the moment to play with and get an idea of range etc

bliq

Distinguished
150feet through walls is a tall order for wireless N. You might be better off running cable to at least get closer. Maybe look into directional antennas. repeater might be your only option too.

Dual band is a good thing as if it's possible to connect to 5GHz, clients will experience less interference and so better bandwidth and link quality.

good luck