Question UPS battery OK but........

Jun 27, 2024
Can anyone troubleshoot this scenario? I have a CyberPower EC650LCD. These things are around $80-$90 and I just ordered a new one an hour ago.

The reason being is after a surge (or something) the components connected to the UPS just shut off. It's not like I have a bunch of hardware connected to this UPS that draws much power and the battery appears to be just fine.

I pulled the plug out of the outlet, and everything connected to the UPS (battery side of course) kept running. BUT when I plugged the UPS back into the outlet everything shut down (?????).

Is this a bad relay switch or whatever? I'm thoroughly confused by this behavior. Again, the battery seems OK; all hardware connected runs off battery power alone but I can't have my ONT shutting down every time there's a power anomaly.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:

RealBeast

Titan
I hope that you ONLY attach your computer and not monitors or anything else to this mini-UPS. It sounds defective, but it is also a very tiny UPS if you have a computer of any substantial power use.

My baseline for an average computer at my house is an APC Backup Pro 1500 that uses their software to shutdown the computer 5 minutes before battery fail. And for my big servers I Frankenstein in a few large NiCad batteries in parallel into an older model APC to give it a high capacity, and no I do not recommend that kind of stuff for anyone without adequate knowledge and experience.

Jun 27, 2024
Yes! I have a couple of CyberPower 1500VA (900 watts) for my PCs and monitors.

The CyberPower 650 has an EXTREMELY LIGHT load; it's just a little mini cable box and an ONT. I'd be surprised if both of the devices connected to the battery side draw more than 40 watts (I know that the ONT is well under 25 watts).

Frankly, the only reason I have a UPS at that outlet at all is the ONT (and even then only because the internet goes down if it loses power even for a millisecond).

I actually looked up when I bought the 650 UPS and it was 2021 so it's probably just had it in terms of the relay or switching or whatever. I just find that a bit odd since the battery is just fine; I mean the battery outlived the other components which I think is unusual.

Thanks for the reply.

Jun 27, 2024
Just to put a cap on this thread:

Yeah, my UPS is a 650LCD and rated at 380 watts and I have a whopping 65-70 watts worth of stuff connected to the battery side. It happened again within the last 30 minutes; a surge that caused the connected devices to shut down completely (which should NOT happen). So, the UPS is NOT switching over to the battery - new one arriving today.