Question UPS for a gaming pc

Nick Vella

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2012
Hello, I live in the country with a pretty crappy power grid. My power goes out at least once a month and already fried a modem with way even with a surge protector. I wanted to get a UPS just so i jave enough time to shut down my pc, modem and router. I was reading that I need Sinewave but I see conflicting info online and the review on Amazon.ca and wanted to get some input on recommendations. Id rather not spend the 200 plus for the ones that are sinewave but will if its 100% necessary. Thank you for any help.

Nick Vella

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2012
I just dont want to spend more than I have to. It's only to properly shutdown. I see people commenting on the smaller none tower ups on Amazon saying they use it for a gaming PC but that's a pretty fluid term. I have a 600w 80+ gold psu

OrlyP

Reputable
Aug 20, 2020
A 1kVA UPS would be sufficient for your needs.

A particular feature you might want to look out for on a UPS is if it's capable of automatically shutting down your PC even without human intervention. This comes usually as a USB cable connected between the PC and the UPS. Cheaper UPS won't have it and it will rely on your presence to manually save your work and turn off your PC during a power failure.

Nick Vella

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2012
A 1kVA UPS would be sufficient for your needs.

A particular feature you might want to look out for on a UPS is if it's capable of automatically shutting down your PC even without human intervention. This comes usually as a USB cable connected between the PC and the UPS. Cheaper UPS won't have it and it will rely on your presence to manually save your work and turn off your PC during a power failure.
Ive been reading way too many reviews on amazon.ca for apc and cyberpower with some that are quite concerning. Im ok with spending around 200$ if its gonna last and hs good features

OrlyP

Reputable
Aug 20, 2020
You won't be able to find a perfect review on Amazon. If you do, they're likely to be fake or manipulated. Just pick one from any reputable brands like APC, Eaton, CyberPower, etc. with the features and capacity you need and one that has a respectable return and warranty policy.