Question UPS makes "static-y" noise when there's no electricity, is this normal & safe?

ShwaBdudle

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
When the electricity gets turned off (for whatever reason) the UPS's battery activates, but besides making the 'normal' beeping noise that signals that the battery is in use the UPS also makes this static-y noise. Try connecting a power cable to your PC except don't plug it in fully, you get that noise. I left it as it was for the night until the beeping got so loud I had to turn the UPS off. But for the future, is this noise normal? Is it safe to leave the UPS like this for the entire night if there's no electricity?

Specs (if for some reason needed): Rog strix 650W PSU Rx 6650 xt I5-11400 1080p 144hz monitor

UPS: Aviem Pro Gen3 (1000VA/600W)

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Try connecting a power cable to your PC except don't plug it in fully, you get that noise.

Why the hell would you only plug the socket half-way in?
Do you want to burn it all up? Since the sound which comes from half-way inserted socket, is most likely electricity arcing, which will generate a lot of heat and will eventually catch fire.

I left it as it was for the night until the beeping got so loud I had to turn the UPS off.

Read your UPS manual to know why it beeps. Heck, you should've read the UPS manual PRIOR of using your UPS.

Is it safe to leave the UPS like this for the entire night if there's no electricity?
If there is no electricity and PC doesn't consume UPS power, turn the UPS off.

ShwaBdudle

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
Why the hell would you only plug the socket half-way in?
Do you want to burn it all up? Since the sound which comes from half-way inserted socket, is most likely electricity arcing, which will generate a lot of heat and will eventually catch fire.

Read your UPS manual to know why it beeps. Heck, you should've read the UPS manual PRIOR of using your UPS.

If there is no electricity and PC doesn't consume UPS power, turn the UPS off.
There seems to be a misunderstanding, perhaps I didn't convey my thoughts well.
I didn't plug the socket half way in, that was to give you an understanding of what that noise sounds like. The UPS makes the same sound when it's power cable is not fully plugged in/loose. As I said in my post the UPS beeps because it's using its internal battery. I could turn the UPS off when there's no electricity but I won't be able to do it every time, what if I'm not home or sleeping or just feeling lazy?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I could turn the UPS off when there's no electricity but I won't be able to do it every time, what if I'm not home or sleeping or just feeling lazy?
If you go out, turn UPS off before leaving house. Same when you go to sleep, turn UPS off. And you being lazy, well, that's your issue.

also makes this static-y noise.

Proper, high quality UPS, like CyberPower CP1300EPFCLCD (1300VA/780W, true/pure sine wave, line-interactive) which i have (actually have two of these), only ever makes 3 kinds of sounds:
* alarm beeps to let you know what is going on
* airflow nose of the cooling fan
* loud click when mechanical relay switch switches from mains to battery power and vice-versa

Any other sound isn't normal for proper UPS.

Your UPS, however, is cheap, simulated sine wave UPS. And i couldn't even tell the topology of your UPS, since that isn't listed anywhere (neither in official specs or the manual). So, what you hear, could be EMI interference, coil whine, electricity arcing or normal behavior of your cheap UPS.
Best bet, contact Aviem and ask them, since they made your unit.