BabaYg94

Reputable
Sep 18, 2019
Hello,

I have an APC BX950GR/ 950VA UPS and when I start playing high demand games e.g. CP2077 the UPS battery light stays on and with a long beep. According to manual it is an overloading issue. I have connected my pc and one monitor. My pc has a 750Watt psu, i9-13900k, RTX 2070 and my monitor is a 1440p/165Hz with max 48watt draw. I get this led notification when the UPS is connected to power, is this a battery issue or it is normal due to my UPS low specs? If this is happening due to low specs is a 1500va UPS enough for two monitors and this setup?

There are 2 kinda related numbers on UPS, VA and watts. They like to always advertise the VA number because it is bigger. I forget exactly why these numbers are different but the most important one is always watts, I have never seen a UPS where the watt number exceeds the VA number.

In your current UPS...I think I found the correct one..It says it has a VA of 950 but only 520 watts of power. 520 is still a lot of power to draw only using a 2070. A slightly better UPS would tell you exactly the power you were drawing.

In any case look at both the VA and watts numbers. Almost all 1500va UPS are over 1000 watts but there are actually some that come very close to the full 1500 watts also.

Another issue is you really want to look for UPS that are true sine wave UPS. Modern power supplies because they are so efficient need very clean power. Sometime it can damage the power supply but most just turn off if they don't like the power.

I do not think the sine wave issue is the current cause because the UPS passes the city power through. It is only when you are running on the battery you are getting the non sine power. It is very important though since you see many people say their PC just turns off when they lose power even though other device like monitor and router etc function fine on the battery backup power.

BabaYg94

Reputable
Sep 18, 2019
There are 2 kinda related numbers on UPS, VA and watts. They like to always advertise the VA number because it is bigger. I forget exactly why these numbers are different but the most important one is always watts, I have never seen a UPS where the watt number exceeds the VA number.

In your current UPS...I think I found the correct one..It says it has a VA of 950 but only 520 watts of power. 520 is still a lot of power to draw only using a 2070. A slightly better UPS would tell you exactly the power you were drawing.

In any case look at both the VA and watts numbers. Almost all 1500va UPS are over 1000 watts but there are actually some that come very close to the full 1500 watts also.

Another issue is you really want to look for UPS that are true sine wave UPS. Modern power supplies because they are so efficient need very clean power. Sometime it can damage the power supply but most just turn off if they don't like the power.

I do not think the sine wave issue is the current cause because the UPS passes the city power through. It is only when you are running on the battery you are getting the non sine power. It is very important though since you see many people say their PC just turns off when they lose power even though other device like monitor and router etc function fine on the battery backup power.
Understood, but does the numbers also matter when the UPS is connected to the wall? I mean my UPS right now complaining while I'm not using the battery.

The UPS might just be too smart and warning you that you are exceeding its ability to run on battery. In effect it is warning that the UPS will do nothing for you if you lose city power.

It could also be that the internal parts/wires that carry the power both when on battery or city power are too small to provide the power you are using.

Not sure you really need a different UPS anyway. Most UPS will immediately shut down if you overload them when you are on battery to avoid damaging the UPS.

Reactions: BabaYg94