Question UPS recommendation for Threadripper system ?

Gaganailawadi

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
Hello Everyone,

Whenever i need help i just straight away comes to Tom's Hardware and never get disappointed. Need help again

I am looking for a UPS for my workstation because electricity supply in my area is prone to sudden power cuts.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JxspLJ

This is my system configuration: its a Threadripper 2950x with seasonic gold 850 psu. And dell UHD monitor attached to it. Need minimum of 15 minutes of backup for saving the files. I am also on tight budget. Please guide.

Ralston18

Titan
What UPS brands and models are available in your area?

Start by going to the applicable manufacturer's websites.

Most UPS manufacturer's provide some sort of "calculator" to help size the UPS based on the wattage requirements and length of time that power is needed.

Likely that the calculators are a bit skewed to push more costly models.

Identify two or three UPS candidates and then read the manufacturer's User Guides/Manuals. Pay attention to the fine print. Also read the respective manufacturer's FAQs and Forums (if any). Look for what is said and what is not said.

Noted that you need/require 15 minutes to backup....

A power outage is not the time to start a backup. You should always have backups on hand so a backup is not needed beyond saving immediate ongoing work.

Most apps provide some automated backup process to save current work - Save every 5 minutes (for example) just in case.

Reducing the 15 minutes to 10 or even 5 minutes may lead to a less expensive UPS.

All you really need is a few minutes to get back to the PC if power goes off. Just enough time to initiate and complete a graceful shutdown.

And if you are in the habit of saving any on-going work before leaving the PC then that work will be there when power comes back and the PC is restarted.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Gaganailawadi

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
What UPS brands and models are available in your area?

Start by going to the applicable manufacturer's websites.

Most UPS manufacturer's provide some sort of "calculator" to help size the UPS based on the wattage requirements and length of time that power is needed.

Likely that the calculators are a bit skewed to push more costly models.

Identify two or three UPS candidates and then read the manufacturer's User Guides/Manuals. Pay attention to the fine print. Also read the respective manufacturer's FAQs and Forums (if any). Look for what is said and what is not said.

Noted that you need/require 15 minutes to backup....

A power outage is not the time to start a backup. You should always have backups on hand so a backup is not needed beyond saving immediate ongoing work.

Most apps provide some automated backup process to save current work - Save every 5 minutes (for example) just in case.

Reducing the 15 minutes to 10 or even 5 minutes may lead to a less expensive UPS.

All you really need is a few minutes to get back to the PC if power goes off. Just enough time to initiate and complete a graceful shutdown.

And if you are in the habit of saving any on-going work before leaving the PC then that work will be there when power comes back and the PC is restarted.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Thanks for the reply.

I completed agreed with you don't need much time to safe and shutdown the pc. I dont see any calculator thing in the website. The company here is Apc, microtech, zebroniz .

I heard something sine wave ups are good. Actually have no idea about all these.

How much VA is good for my system? 1000 VA or 1500VA?

Ralston18

Titan
Apologies - should have used "selector" instead of "calculator". Again just be wary of being steered into a more expensive UPS that may not be truly necessary.

Here is APC's selector:

https://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/tools/ups_selector/

As for sine wave - start here:

https://nerdtechy.com/ups-need-pure-sine-wave

When I lose power all I need are a few minutes to gracefully shutdown. for the most I leave the computers etc. turned off while away for more than 5 - 6 hours.

And if there are storms about then I generally leave my computers off and if the weather is really severe I unplug everything.