[SOLVED] URGENT!! I downloaded driver booster and it made my laptop slower even after a reset

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CronoInferno

Commendable
Oct 18, 2020
I downloaded driver booster 8 and had 20 drivers out of date, I restarted my laptop and its so slow. I tried doing a system restore but it didn't work. I even reset my laptop but it is still very slow. I really need help

CronoInferno

Commendable
Oct 18, 2020
you might need to contact lenovo on their forums and see if anyone there has any smart ideas. Its clearly a problem with that model and I don't know who - lenovo or Microsoft - needs to fix it.
So you can't help, I took it to my store where I got it and they weren't able to do anything. You are my last hope.

CronoInferno

Commendable
Oct 18, 2020
did you look through the links? perhaps there was another solution in there i didn't see.
Ok, This is where I really need your help. which one do I delete the driver software, the one with an exclamation mark or the one without. I would assume the one without because it says that the other one isn't working and my trackpad int working

Colif

Win 11 Master
I had a duplicate Lenovo Keyboard Device - but not 2 HID Keyboard Devices. I kept uninstalling the duplicate which had the exclamation mark on it, but when I went to scan for changes it would just come back again. I was scared to do more in case I lost my keyboard too. Before I went to bed I installed every Windows update (again) and downloaded everything from here: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/gb/en/.../legion-y540-15irh-pg0/downloads/driver-list/

Finally this morning I plucked up the courage to both uninstall - and this time, most importantly, delete the software for the duplicate. It's a box you have to tick after you hit when it asks if you definitely want to uninstall. Immediately after doing that I scanned for new changes again and suddenly HID-compliant mouse was back. Now that's all I have, no touchpad related firmware, but at least it's working (for now). I then did the Lenovo Diagnostic test which passed fine.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Gaming...-driver-Lenovo-Legion-Y540/m-p/4508576?page=2

follow on to that one
the one I uninstalled (and removed the software of) was the duplicate 'Lenovo Keyboard Device' with the exclamation mark on it. As soon as I did that I re-scanned for new changes (in the Action heading on Device Manager) and suddenly my mouse was there! Been a few days now and still working fine. Mine is the Y540, but I hope it's works just the same for you. Good luck!

look at 2nd paragraph in top quote, there is an extra step.

Colif

Win 11 Master
So again for the people that didn't try this yet:

- Go to "device manager"

- Uninstall the keyboard option with an exclamation mark ( Check, Delete Driver )

- Go to the toolbar and on the right there is an icon with a " window and searchglass " that says: scan for hardware changes

- Click that and your touchpaad should work

TRENDING THREADS