[SOLVED] Urgent!! Illuminated blank screen on boot! No POST No BEEPS

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 11, 2020
Hello everyone!
My lenovo laptop had a windows 10 installed which was acting weird
(Couldnt use the OS, couldnt revert back etc)
To solve this i removed the hdd, disassembled an ext hdd and used the usb extension with the lenovo hdd to backup all my data on another laptop with acronis
Later i created a partition on the clean drive and flashed an img of windows 10 to fresh install it
But the lenovo laptop doesnt even POST now. There is an illuminated blank screen as soon as it is turned on irrespective of whether or not the hard is installed on the laptop
Also the laptops bios is corrupted and cant be changed
Same goes with the boot menu
Any suggestions?

Solution
OK, the issue has been solved, I am now writing this message with the laptop that was previously broken.
For anyone who is experiencing the same issue, you can fix this issue 100%, pretty easily.
This mostly occurs due to broken/corrupted bios. All you have to do to fix it, is to get a proper bios file for your model and flash it to your bios chip, either by desoldering it from the motherboard or using a soic8 test flash clip. You'll need a ch314a bios programmer as well. These items are very cheap and can be bought through amazon/ebay or any site you prefer. But this process has to be done carefully with working hardware.

Unfortunately for me, the hardware wasn't functioning very well (also software) and i didn't have the reqd...
Apr 11, 2020
"But i need the heatsink"

Heatsink transfers heat from processor die, you dont need to replace anything. Just remove all dust from fan , heatsink and around the case. Then Remove the old thermal paste from heatsink contact and processor die with isoprophyl alcohol and q-tips for example, when its super clean and dry add new thermal paste and tighten the heatsink back in.
sry i meant thermal paste

However this might not solve the issue, you need to still do it since the fan is clogged up. After removing the heatsink you can try reseating the cpu with integrated graphics chip , look video at 05.00min, first turn the screw then unlock the cpu, you can use compressed air into the cpu socket holes and cpu pins, then put it back and tighten the screw, worth a try. After that and cleaning all the thermal paste and adding new put everything together.

Apr 11, 2020
But how can
However this might not solve the issue, you need to still do it since the fan is clogged up. After removing the heatsink you can try reseating the cpu with integrated graphics chip , look video at 05.00min, first turn the screw then unlock the cpu, you can use compressed air into the cpu socket holes and cpu pins, then put it back and tighten the screw, worth a try. After that and cleaning all the thermal paste and adding new put everything together.
Stripprd screw though

Apr 11, 2020
Can you please make me a list of the all the things i need to check in an increasingly difficult and complicated order in the form of a list
That would be extremely helpful and greatly appreciated

Dust = more heat , its not sudden failure obviously these things take time but in your case theres so much dust it clogged the fan which causes high temperatures for the cpu and near components since heatsink is not properly moving the heat from the fan. However you have integrated hd graphics and no dedicated / discrete graphics chip which is way more likely to fail cause of this so dont worry that much. This is very common in laptops with amd graphics chips, i literally used to have about 30 of these laptops just taking space in my old appartment lol

Apr 11, 2020
Also i need to remove the stripped screw however possible but i dont have any special screw removal tools or a drill
This is extremely important
Failure to remove the screw will not allow me to troubleshoot anything and come to any conclusion, let alone fix anything
It will also keep nagging me till i DIE
Hope you understand lol

Apr 11, 2020
Ok
Dust = more heat , its not sudden failure obviously these things take time but in your case theres so much dust it clogged the fan which causes high temperatures for the cpu and near components since heatsink is not properly moving the heat from the fan. However you have integrated hd graphics and no dedicated / discrete graphics chip which is way more likely to fail cause of this so dont worry that much. This is very common in laptops with amd graphics chips, i literally used to have about 30 of these laptops just taking space in my old appartment lol
Thanks!

Did you already try booting with only 1 ram stick installed? you can try ram stick in slot1 and remove from slot2 (power cable and battery off when you touch these) then try boot, after that put ram2 in slot 1 and test the possibilities of bad ram slot or ram stick.

Thing is what i would do as the first thing if i where you , would be to disassembly the motherboard completely off the case to a desk which has nothing conductive on it like wooden desk, Then i would take power button cable off from the front case and connect it straight to motherboard connector.
add hdmi cable to external monitor ,remove cmos battery and

Put in power cable and boot it, if i see imagine in screen i know its something wrong with lcd or other stuff like speakers, usb board etc. If still no picture i unscrew the heatsink and take cpu off the socket and clean the socket and check if cpu pins are okay, put it back and do quick test without the fan connected, just 10seconds if i see logo then plug off power cable or cpu might die from too much heat without heatsink.

Look for any corrossion or water / liquid damage anywhere on the board.

After that your left with bios corruption in main bios chip or EC bios chips, maybe even bad connection or chip dying. Components failing on the motherboard, failing intel hd graphics (rare).

Uusally there is a problem (other components failing) which causes bios corruption unless you flashed it before problem occurred. Thats why you can find threads about people flashing bios chip and still continuing to have issues later on.

Apr 11, 2020
After that your left with bios corruption in main bios chip or EC bios chips, maybe even bad connection or chip dying. Components failing on the motherboard, failing intel hd graphics (rare).

Uusally there is a problem (other components failing) which causes bios corruption unless you flashed it before problem occurred. Thats why you can find threads about people flashing bios chip and still continuing to have issues later on.
Thanks a lot for this
But you do get stripped/extremely tight screws right?
How do you handle them, especially when they are very deep and uncomfortable to handle