[SOLVED] Urgent!! Illuminated blank screen on boot! No POST No BEEPS

Apr 11, 2020
Hello everyone!
My lenovo laptop had a windows 10 installed which was acting weird
(Couldnt use the OS, couldnt revert back etc)
To solve this i removed the hdd, disassembled an ext hdd and used the usb extension with the lenovo hdd to backup all my data on another laptop with acronis
Later i created a partition on the clean drive and flashed an img of windows 10 to fresh install it
But the lenovo laptop doesnt even POST now. There is an illuminated blank screen as soon as it is turned on irrespective of whether or not the hard is installed on the laptop
Also the laptops bios is corrupted and cant be changed
Same goes with the boot menu
Any suggestions?

Solution
OK, the issue has been solved, I am now writing this message with the laptop that was previously broken.
For anyone who is experiencing the same issue, you can fix this issue 100%, pretty easily.
This mostly occurs due to broken/corrupted bios. All you have to do to fix it, is to get a proper bios file for your model and flash it to your bios chip, either by desoldering it from the motherboard or using a soic8 test flash clip. You'll need a ch314a bios programmer as well. These items are very cheap and can be bought through amazon/ebay or any site you prefer. But this process has to be done carefully with working hardware.

Unfortunately for me, the hardware wasn't functioning very well (also software) and i didn't have the reqd...
Apr 11, 2020
"Also the laptops bios is corrupted and cant be changed " can you explain more about this, it looks all messed up or what?
When I said that, i meant that though there are no problems related to boot, the bios or boot menu itself is inaccessible, and therefore settings cannot be changed.
Since safe boot is enabled, I am unable to boot with any usb/cd and hence the complicated hdd flashing.
And the bios issue is actually lenovo's fault.
Many laptops have the same issue

Apr 11, 2020
When I said that, i meant that though there are no problems related to boot, the bios or boot menu itself is inaccessible, and therefore settings cannot be changed.
Since safe boot is enabled, I am unable to boot with any usb/cd and hence the complicated hdd flashing.
And the bios issue is actually lenovo's fault.
Many laptops have the same issue
Keep in mind this issue was present from the time the laptop was brought and I didnt realise till warranty was void

Remove battery and power cable, Remove 1 ram stick from slot 2 and then put only power cable in and try to boot. If that wont work keep battery unconnected and remove power cable again, now proceed to switch the 1 ram stick from slot 1 to 2 and put power cable back in, then try boot.

If that wont work, check the cmos battery on the motherboard aand that it has over 3volts, replace if below.
Check that you havent shorted the HDD sata connector where you plugin your hard drive , check all usb ports for been shorted pins.
Check that your power supply is giving right voltage with multimeter or test another power brick

You can also try flashing the bios if you get it working until trying multiple attemps, you need to prepare it on another pc / laptop. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo...-start-Black-Screen-SOLVED/m-p/2181473?page=1

I have no idea what are they talking about "cold" laptop working, this usually means theres problems between some internal chip connection or solder joint, which makes the bios chip corrupt again. I had most problems like this with amd graphics chips but this model only has intel cpu with integrated graphics never seen that.

Apr 11, 2020
The thing is, there is a stripped screw that will not come out no matter what i try that denies access for the removal of the keyboard, which inturn blocks the mb from being accessed. I know this sounds silly, but I've tried many guides to remove them involving steel wool, rubber bands and magnets but none of them work. I'll check the ram and hdd one but i need suggestions to help me remove the stripped screw for the cmos

Apr 11, 2020
All usb ports are fine
I made 3 other observations during ram switching
  1. Fan runs but i think supply is cut(maybe, dont know actual reason) and so it slows down every 7/8 secs for about half a second and loops again the same way
  2. Fan crackles sometimes(dust maybe)
  3. I can hear something loose when i shake the laptop(inside cover, near mb) cant see due to issue replied above

While writing this, first 2 observations have stopped occuring, bur may occur again for a short time during next boot

"Cant flash new bios as safe boot denies access as mentioned above "

Do you get Lenovo logo when you boot up, before it goes black? Are you talking about safe mode for operating system? That has nothing to do with accessing bios.

Btw dont shake the laptop when power is on either by battery or power cable. If theres something loose already.
You just have fan which is probably not working well cause its blocked with dust inside or other issue, dont worry about it for now it does not cause this issue, Fan not working will cause a text during boot.

Did you update bios before this happened? Does your model have only integrated intel hd graphics or gpu chip also?

If you dont boot loop right away after like 10seconds and it takes longer then you can try using external monitor with hdmi or vga port to see if you get picture.

You can see cmos battery in 03.05min in that video round battery, dont break the plastic clip theres only one way to take it out. Try booting without the cmos battery. Take it off then plugin power button cable (some motherboards boot without pressing power button when cmost battery is removed when u plugin power cable) if it dont boot then take power cable off again (always take power cable off when you touch ANYTHING on the motherboard), insert power button cable from plastic keyboard cover to motherboard and then plugin power cable and try power it up using the power button.

You can also try disconnecting everything from the motherboard until 03min50second part ( stop after he says dissconnect the speaker cable , dont start unscrewing the motherboard out) check that the lcd connector cable dont touch the motherboard after you remove it. Then plugin external monitor with VGA cable and then again use the power button cable to boot, add power cable as last thing before pressing the power button.

This way you can if things like shorted speaker or lcd prevent booting and POST. Be careful to short anything when you plugin power cable and test the laptop to short anything on the motherboard when its powered, your only safe to do anything when power cable is disconnected.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2020
"Cant flash new bios as safe boot denies access as mentioned above "

Do you get Lenovo logo when you boot up, before it goes black? Are you talking about safe mode for operating system? That has nothing to do with accessing bios.

Btw dont shake the laptop when power is on either by battery or power cable. If theres something loose already.
You just have fan which is probably not working well cause its blocked with dust inside or other issue, dont worry about it for now it does not cause this issue, Fan not working will cause a text during boot.

Did you update bios before this happened? Does your model have only integrated intel hd graphics or gpu chip also?
I meant that if i flashed the bios updater to usb and plugged it in, it would still be useless because 'secure boot' would deny me access to boot from the usb
Ok for the fans issue