[SOLVED] (Urgent) Windows keeps creating Page File

Status
Not open for further replies.

tf2hk49

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018
Hello folks,

I wanted to set the Page File on the other HHD, however windows seems Ignore my settings and keeps set Page File on C driver after reboots EVERY *** TIME (Sorry I was really mad)

C Driver was my system driver
And in fact I want to set Page file on other HHD because C was getting FULL and the *** IDIOTIC windows still keeps Page file on it squeezing my C driver which making my PC running EXTREMLY slow (8mb space left), WTF Microsoft

HELP!

Solution
I found something interesting,
G: used to be Page file drive before this thread starts

If I try to create Page file on B: (1TB) only, Windows will create Page file on C every boot.

But here comes to G: the magic thing happened, select G: only Windows will not create any Page file on C,
But that's meaningless....because setting Page file on B is the reason why I mess with Windows

I think I found the root cause.
The B drive letter.

A and B are holdovers from when we only had floppy drives. The C drive letter came into being as the default hard drive identifier. And it stuck.
A and B are treated very differently in Windows.

One of those differences seems to be ignoring your desire for the pagefile to be on that.
It...

tf2hk49

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018
  1. Calm down...:)
  2. Some details, please.
What size is this SSD? What are the exact pagefile settings?
I'm using Windows 7 64 Ultimate (Now I cant even reply on PC shows how SLOW its)

There's no SSD on my system, I got 3 HHD only and I want to set Page File on my 1TB HHD instead of 75GB(HHD System C Drive).

tf2hk49

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018
I'm using Windows 7 64 Ultimate (Now I cant even reply on PC shows how SLOW its)

There's no SSD on my system, I got 3 HHD only and I want to set Page File on my 1TB HHD instead of 75GB(HHD System C Drive).
What I've encountered is "Windows created a temporary paping file on your computer........" As everytime I tried to make different settings and reboot it pops out, and ignore my settings by using it's "Temporary" page file although my setting was 100% legit.

What I've encountered is "Windows created a temporary paping file on your computer........" As everytime I tried to make different settings and reboot it pops out, and ignore my settings by using it's "Temporary" page file although my setting was 100% legit.
Windows only makes a temporary pagefile when it's having problems using the existing pagefile. Usually this is caused by a corrupted pagefile.

In file explorer, change the view options so you can see system and hidden files.
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/show-hidden-files-and-folders-in-windows-vista/

Go to the root directory of your 1 TB drive. The pagefile.sys file should be visible. Now disable the pagefile on the 1 TB drive. You should see pagefile.sys disappear. If it doesn't, delete it manually (you may need to open a command prompt in Administrator mode to do this). Recreate the pagefile on the 1 TB drive. Reboot and hopefully the you won't get a temporary pagefile.

tf2hk49

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018
Windows only makes a temporary pagefile when it's having problems using the existing pagefile. Usually this is caused by a corrupted pagefile.

In file explorer, change the view options so you can see system and hidden files.
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/show-hidden-files-and-folders-in-windows-vista/

Go to the root directory of your 1 TB drive. The pagefile.sys file should be visible. Now disable the pagefile on the 1 TB drive. You should see pagefile.sys disappear. If it doesn't, delete it manually (you may need to open a command prompt in Administrator mode to do this). Recreate the pagefile on the 1 TB drive. Reboot and hopefully the you won't get a temporary pagefile.
Yes, I have tried this method serval times, and everytime I select the 1TB as page file only and reboot, system will Still automatically making an "Temporary Page file" on it my C drive and squeezing it.

No matter if all Page file set to none, system will still pop "Windows created a temporary......." and make page file on C drive Always...... I was like WTF

Sgt_Sykes

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
Windows will ALWAYS keep some page file on the C: drive no matter what you set, unless the page file it's completely disabled. Though it should limit itself to a few megabytes if you really try hard to move it.

What you should try to do is to move some of your stuff from C to another drive. It may be inconvenient but probably easier than trying to fight Windows.

Also if the drive where you tried to set the page file is somehow inaccessible during boot, or has any sorts of issues, again Windows will try to create a page file on C:.

So what you want is:
  1. Kill/end all programs
  2. Disable every program on autorun
  3. Disable the page file completely (I hope you have enough RAM for the basic things, but even 1 GB should be enough)
  4. Reboot
  5. Run chkdsk on all your drives
  6. Move some stuff from C elsewhere
  7. Run Disk cleanup as administrator and clean up all the mess
  8. Try again to create the page file wherever you want

tf2hk49

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018
Windows will ALWAYS keep some page file on the C: drive no matter what you set, unless the page file it's completely disabled. Though it should limit itself to a few megabytes if you really try hard to move it.

What you should try to do is to move some of your stuff from C to another drive. It may be inconvenient but probably easier than trying to fight Windows.

Also if the drive where you tried to set the page file is somehow inaccessible during boot, or has any sorts of issues, again Windows will try to create a page file on C:.

So what you want is:
  1. Kill/end all programs
  2. Disable every program on autorun
  3. Disable the page file completely (I hope you have enough RAM for the basic things, but even 1 GB should be enough)
  4. Reboot
  5. Run chkdsk on all your drives
  6. Move some stuff from C elsewhere
  7. Run Disk cleanup as administrator and clean up all the mess
  8. Try again to create the page file wherever you want
Yet, I knew Windows would still trys to create some Page file on C drive, but in my case sounds a little bit different.
Windows will override my Page file setting on C drive, I have tried to set a minimun 800MB Page file on C and after a reboot the old <mod edit> pops out which telling me it dosen't work at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

tf2hk49

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018
The page file increases when system memory is fully utilized. How much ram do you have?
I have 16G RAM 8x2 dual channels
For some reasons I need more than that to run unoptimised applications and turning off Page file seems dosen't work on my machine, the system will still trys to squeeze my C drive everytime after a reboot and ignoring my settings.

Sgt_Sykes

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
Also try to set the page file to a FIXED size, i.e. same minimum and maximum. But again Windows will increase it anyway once you run out of memory.

Either way tho you want to follow my previous advice, especially 1) checking the other drive for defects and 2) cleaning up your C drive. Even if you don't put page file on C, Windows will keep clogging up your drive anyway and you'll get into the same situation sooner or later.

USAFRet

Titan
I really don't have time to backup, I have a computer to set right. And I would do this after problem were fixed asap.
Famous last words.

Delete or uninstall some junk off that 75GB drive.
Replace that with something of a reasonable size.
Institute a reasonable, automated, tested backup routine.
Given todays cheap drive space, and free easy software...there is literally zero excuse for not having a good backup.
Or having your only 8 megabytes free space on your C drive.

I really don't have time to backup, I have a computer to set right. And I would do this after problem were fixed asap.
Wow... don't want a backup.
You have a very very simple solution
Copy ALL files you need onto 1TB drive
REMOVE your 75GB drive
Install windows on your 1TB drive
PROBLEM FIXED!

Or you can Partition your 1TB drive to 200gb and 800gb
Clone your 75GB drive onto your 200gb partition
Again PROBLEM SOLVED

tf2hk49

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018
REMOVE your 75GB drive
PROBLEM FIXED!

Again PROBLEM SOLVED
REMOVE your 75GB drive
PROBLEM FIXED!

Again PROBLEM SOLVED
yes, then my 1tb hhd lifespan would be short as hell(y)

tf2hk49

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018
Your "problem" is twofold:
  1. A too small drive for the OS. 75GB
  2. Too much junk on that 75GB drive.
Easily fixed, in multiple ways.
I admit 75G was too small nowadays, however I only have drivers and OS installed on it and still have 15GB space.
Unfortunately Windows still setup a 14.9GB Page file on it (override my setting).
btw I did have online backup instead of physical backup so stop giving pointless 'solution'

tf2hk49

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018
Can you show us a screencap of your pagefile settings window?

I have my pagefile set to 1GB min/max, on the C drive, and it doesn't do what you say.
Of course, 'm not using Win 7 Ultimate.
5Yjr5mV.jpg

C: was my OS drive
Ignore G and K pls

In left side is the Page file setting panel As you can see None page file has been set
and Windows would create an 8.55gb "Temporary" pagefile every reboot on C: in no matter of any settings

Status
Not open for further replies.