US cities, counties and interstates

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

In article <4145AF35.ADF9AE2D@socal.rr.com>,
Eric Maddy <emaddy@socal.rr.com> wrote:

> "counter-clockwise on 465" ??

Now I need to know if you want me to go EAST CCW or WEST CCW.

--Harold Buck

"I used to rock and roll all night,
and party every day.
Then it was every other day. . . ."
-Homer J. Simpson

<emaddy@socal.rr.com> wrote:

> "counter-clockwise on 465" ??

That's actually valid notation for Raleigh's currently complete loop,
I-440, aka the Beltline. About six or seven years ago they took down
all the compass directional signs off the I-440 shields and replaced
them with "inner" (clockwise) and "outer" (ccw). (For a few years
before that, they were dual-signed as north I-440/Inner Beltline.) It
makes for much less ambiguity in giving directions, once you explain to
out-of-towners the inner/outer concept.

It didn't hurt in that the Beltline has also been multiplexed in
various combinations with the US and state highways going
through/around/no through again/no around Raleigh. :) So, at one point,
you could be going east on I-40, I-440, and US 64 but west on I-70.

ObTrivia: What other cities use non-compass directions for numbered
routes in a similar manner? I think I saw an inner/outer driving
through Louisville, KY, a few years back; can anybody else vouch for
this?

--
Dustin Emhart
c.fred@cox.net