US Gaming Spend Is On Track for a Record Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

HyperMatrix

Distinguished
May 23, 2015
"Approximately 37 percent of people who made purchases did so to have fun, and eight percent bought items to save time."

So 55% of people bought it to get an advantage in the game. These in-game purchases, loot boxes, micro transactions, etc, have to be outlawed. Games are being engineered to trigger your brain the same way gambling addiction does. You end up paying for things that should have been designed as an enjoyable part of the game. And if you don't buy it, some others will. And then you'll be at a disadvantage. Lowering your enjoyment with the game.

It's all based on greed. And manipulation.

Druidsmark

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016
I spend lots each year on new games, additional content I usually only buy in special pc game bundle deals that include all the add on content for one low great price only.

HyperMatrix

Distinguished
May 23, 2015

I spend money buying cosmetics in games. Often a lot. Because those are just cosmetics. They have no impact on gameplay. My problem is that developers try to push “time savers” as they call it for real life money when there is no reason for them to charge money. They’re just taxing you. And again, the problem is that it gives an advantage to people who have money. Games used to be the great equalizers. Regardless of how rich or poor you were, all were equal in the game. But that’s been killed off now. Which is unfortunate. I’m an adult with a very healthy income. So I can more than afford to pay. But I still disagree with the business model very strongly.

I think fortnite does it perfectly. You don't need to spend any money in the game at all. The only reason to spend money is to outfit your character with new costumes, dances, a different looking glider and pickaxe(neither give any performance benefit). You can also get a battlepass which allows you to obtain those items faster.

Most other games do it poorly, and it's alot like gambling. You pay for a loot box, and like a slot machine, you could get a big prize or small one.

almarcy

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014
I bought a game, once, for myself. It was dead boring. I bought my first SSD. WOW! I love technology. Games are wonderful, if you enjoy them. The rest is just more politics. Dead dull BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.