US Healthcare

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Please choose the way you would prefer health insurance in the US.

• The current system.

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • The current system with some regulations changed.

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • The current system with a public option added.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • A government system w/o private plans offered.

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Health insurance completely outlawed and all the company bureaucrats and politicians locked up for l

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Although personally benefitting from the health care bill (my daughter from my first marriage is full-tine college student and turns 22 in August and Aetna boots her off my family plan at the end of that month - the health care bill restores her on my plan next January I believe), I still disagree that the gov't can force everybody to buy health insurance whether they want it or not. When I first started my career a couple decades ago, I declined the company-subsidized health plan because (1) I was young, single and in excellent health, and (2) comparing my premiums to those of my older, married colleagues, it was clear that I was subsidizing them, not quite to the extent as with life insurance but still pretty unfair IMO. So I didn't elect to participate until I got married & had a kid (actually my first wife was in the military so we had free health care anyway - Champus which is now Tri-Care Prime or something similar).

Of course now I'm a middle-aged fart with 2 kids, so logically I should favor this bill but it still seems unfair :p. Not to mention that last week another gov't agency shot the so-called savings espoused by the Dems and the administration, full of holes...

Anybody who takes a few minutes to read over the law's summary and has any common sense at all will realize there are no savings in the law. Here's why:

1. You have 10 years of taxes as part of the bill, but only start to pay out benefits for the last six and only end up with a small surplus. You're going to run a huge deficit once you're out of that 10-year budgetary estimate window as the taxes aren't enough to subsidize this thing (else the payouts would start on Day 1. There's a reason the payouts don't start until four years from now, it was to end up with a "surplus" for the mandatory 10-year budgetary impact estimate.)

2. You are covering many more people than before, some of whom were deemed too expensive to insure at present. This has to cost a lot of money.

3. The fines are 2.5% of your income but the government won't subsidize insurance for most people until insurance costs 8-9.5% of their income. Couple that with the no-preexisting-condition-denial part and you'll have a lot of people pay the fine and then jump on insurance right when they get sick as this costs less money. Insurers are going to go belly-up over this unless they get big federal assistance.

4. Healthcare costs almost always overshoot estimates by a huge margin. One example: RomneyCare in MA was several times over budget in only a few years. What makes anybody think this estimate will be any good?

So a little common sense will tell you that any "savings" was a sham.

Exactly so. And not to mention the fact that the gov't reliably predicting anything 10 years in the future is an absurdity in the extreme. Lucky for Obama, he's out in either 3 or 7 years and thus won't be around to face the music.

I say that we hold these guy's pensions as guarantees their numbers are correct - if they screwed up, they should pay the price. I'd bet we'd see a lot less wild-arse optimistic guessing on their parts...

The problem isn't with the CBO (the guys doing the estimates), it's with the politicians that ask for the estimates. The CBO is hamstrung in coming up with an anywhere-near-realistic estimate as they are forced to use assumptions and data that the bill's creators give them instead of using remotely-sane ones. That's why one of the CBO officials came out and said the bill was going to be at least $300B over their official estimate.

^ Yep. And although I was too busy to read the MSNBC article today, there was yet another story about the healthcare bill cost estimate going up another $128B or so. This story just keeps getting better and better...

I could not agree more. I am sick and tired of peoples lazy "help-me the world owes me something mentality". I am sick and tired of my taxes going up on everything I own, everything I buy, everything I do, and every penny I make to help support these people. I realize that taxes are a way of life, and they are needed to pay for our basic foundation of society, but not this. Any type of program ever ran by the government has turned into a tremendous, expensive, dismal disaster, why? Because no matter how they sugar coat it on the outside, on the inside it is all about putting money into people's pockets and friends, it is not the working person. The only problem is, the freeloaders are coming into the majority, they have now the power to vote nonsense like this into place and earn their perks off the backs of the money earners.

Status
Not open for further replies.