Usable RAM

ssj_jake

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
I have a dell precision 690 and have 8gb of ram . i also have a 64bit windows 7 professional installed but when i go into system it says 8gb of ram detected but only 4.00 useable . i went into the bios to see if i could enalble memmory remapping as i saw that was a common fix but when i went in there was no option available does anyone know a fix for this problem or experiened similar problems ?

Wamphryi

Distinguished
Click Start and type msconfig in the search files and folders field. Click Boot then advanced options. Make sure Maximum Memory is deselected. If it isn't it will probably say 4 GB Max. Deselect then reboot. See how that goes.

Carl911

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013

I have BIOS A08, 8 x 1GB RAM installed on the 690's risers, Win 7 Pro 64-bit. BIOS shows all 8 sticks but reports 4 GB; Win 7 reports 8 GB, 4 GB useable. Sound familiar? This is essentially the same dilemma reported by many, MANY users in many support sites (including Dell's). Yet I have seen neither a valid explanation nor a solution that works..

I've tried the above msconfig routine but …nada. Same for the many ideas ive found and tried. I know that 690s are no longer under Warranty (or even in production), but there are a lot of customers who bought their machines on the promise of their being able to address up to 64 GB (in a 64 bit OS) and are now out on a limb and abandoned. Come on Dell and Microsoft, throw us a line, PLEASE!