[SOLVED] USB 2.0 connector won't fit

Drew2345

Reputable
Jul 20, 2019
So my USB 2.0 connector from the front panel of the case wont fit onto the motherboard unless i really force hard in there. So i looked again the manual to see if im plugging it in the right placeand yes I was but i noticed a warning label that said : "DO NOT connect a1394 cable to the USB connectors.Doing so will damage the motherboard" What is a USB 1394?And how do I know that the cable its only labeled USB and the case manual says nothing about this.
P.S: My motherboard is an asus strix h270f if that matters

Solution
If the cable pre-attached in your case to its front panel ports is labelled USB or USB2, then go ahead. If your case had an IEEE 1394 ("Firewire") front panel port the cable would say that. A Firewire port looks quite different from a USB2 port, so you could look up a photo if you want to verify there is no such thing on your case front.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
If the cable pre-attached in your case to its front panel ports is labelled USB or USB2, then go ahead. If your case had an IEEE 1394 ("Firewire") front panel port the cable would say that. A Firewire port looks quite different from a USB2 port, so you could look up a photo if you want to verify there is no such thing on your case front.

Solution

Drew2345

Reputable
Jul 20, 2019
Thanks a lot still the connector doesn't seem to go in easily i do need tor really force it in there

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Look it over very carefully, because most such items do NOT need large force. Ensure it's oriented the right way - there is one pin missing to make it fit only one way. Examine the pins of the mobo header and ensure they all are straight. Examine the holes in the female connector on the ends of the front panel cable and ensure they all are in their holes straight and with open ends. As you make the connection, ensure the plug goes onto the pins straight, and while NOT forcing it down, wiggle it a little to try to ensure that each hole in the plug actually fits over a pin smoothly. THEN try pushing it dowm.

Drew2345

Reputable
Jul 20, 2019
Look it over very carefully, because most such items do NOT need large force. Ensure it's oriented the right way - there is one pin missing to make it fit only one way. Examine the pins of the mobo header and ensure they all are straight. Examine the holes in the female connector on the ends of the front panel cable and ensure they all are in their holes straight and with open ends. As you make the connection, ensure the plug goes onto the pins straight, and while NOT forcing it down, wiggle it a little to try to ensure that each hole in the plug actually fits over a pin smoothly. THEN try pushing it dowm.
I figured that one out but i encountered another problem while building the pc, on my motherboard (asus strix h270f) there are 6 sata ports all alligned straight on the same side so i thought they were all the same but they were paired 3 and 3, and i kind of forced a sata cable into the wrong half after which i figured out and managed everything.But so you think the sata port on the mb might have been damaged?