[SOLVED] USB 3.1 Gen2 Motherboard Header Amps?

Jan 24, 2021
Hi!

I was planning to add a USB C 3.1 Gen2 port to the front of my case by buying a 5.25inch front panel. My motherboard has a USB 3.1 Gen2 header port which i was going to plug this into.

The question i wanted to ask is how many amps can this header provide?

Currently am using a Qualcomm 3.0 plug into the mains to fast charge our phones but having a powerful port in the computer would be great.

Thank you

Solution
2.0 can supply 0.5A.
3.0+ can supply 0.9A standard.
Some ports used for 'fast charge' or 'supercharge' are supposed to offer 1.5A, but since the advent of iPhone/iPad etc combined with a 5A max for the port, you'll find some motherboards may very well exceed the 1.5A standard limit.

So if the 3.1 port is also a designated fast charge header, the answer will be its supposed to be 1.5A, but can be more than that. If it's a non-fast charge header, it'll be no more than 0.9A.
Jan 24, 2021
Either .9 amps or 1.5 amps depending on whether the port is a standard port (.9 amps) or a dedicated charging or charging downstream port (1.5 amps).

Hi! Thank you for replying.

Ah ok it's not the best for fast charging then but data rate will be good i guess. I am yet to buy the front panel or USB C male to male charging leads yet so needed to see whether this would be a good idea or not.

I just noticed some 5.25inch QC 3.0 front panels which i guess will mimic my fast charging mains plug?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
2.0 can supply 0.5A.
Some ports used for 'fast charge' or 'supercharge' are supposed to offer 1.5A, but since the advent of iPhone/iPad etc combined with a 5A max for the port, you'll find some motherboards may very well exceed the 1.5A standard limit.

So if the 3.1 port is also a designated fast charge header, the answer will be its supposed to be 1.5A, but can be more than that. If it's a non-fast charge header, it'll be no more than 0.9A.

Solution
Jan 24, 2021
I think that motherboard will provide .9A on a USB 3.1 Gen1 port as they are standard ports.

2.0 can supply 0.5A.

Thank you for your help guys!