[SOLVED] Usb 3.2 gen 1 motherboard header

twinkle21

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011
I have the corsair obsidian 1000D and the Asus maximus formula xii. It comes with four cords for the front hook up. Two 3.2 gen 1 motherboard connectors, the black 20 pin plugs. And two USB 3.1 plugs. The problem is the motherboard only supplies enough for one each. I'm looking online and there are usb 3.0 hubs for the 20 pins. Would those be compatible for the 3.2 gen 1 that I have?

Solution
The problem is the motherboard only supplies enough for one each.
2 x USB 3.2 Gen 1(up to 5Gbps) connector(s) support(s) additional 4 USB 3.2 Gen 1 port(s) as stated on your motherboard's specs page, here, under the Internal connectors section.

That would mean one USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C port is left un occupied on the case's end. You can look at an internal PCIe card but that might take up precious lanes off your other devices(GPU's, assuming that the 1000D will be a behemoth system with multiple cards). Speaking of cards, you can look into this.

Lutfij

Titan
2 x USB 3.2 Gen 1(up to 5Gbps) connector(s) support(s) additional 4 USB 3.2 Gen 1 port(s) as stated on your motherboard's specs page, here, under the Internal connectors section.

That would mean one USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C port is left un occupied on the case's end. You can look at an internal PCIe card but that might take up precious lanes off your other devices(GPU's, assuming that the 1000D will be a behemoth system with multiple cards). Speaking of cards, you can look into this.

Solution

twinkle21

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011

Wow thank you for looking into it for me. I did not know that about my board. So my case only has one system in it so I should be able to fit the expansion card in it. My question about the expansion card though. The slot for the 20 pin looks kinda odd lol. I'm guessing the pins are imbedded deep down inside the slot? Or is there like a slip cover onto of the slot?