Question USB Bluetooth Adapter Damaged by PCIE USB Card

Ru1984

Prominent
Mar 25, 2022
What's up everyone, I recently upgraded to a newer PC build and installed a PCIE USB 3.0 card with 3 external ports and 1 internal port. My idea was to use the internal port for a USB bluetooth adapter that I have and leave the external ports free for other devices. On the 2nd or 3rd time I turned on the PC (with adapter plugged into the internal port), I began smelling burning electronics from the rear of the mb and immediately shut it off and got to inspecting only to find everything looked ok. I initially thought the smell came from a faulty USB port on my motherboard but being that the adapter won't appear at all in the device manager on both my pc and laptop has me thinking it was fried by the PCIE card; It was working 100% on my older setup. The PCIE card and bluetooth adapter in question is a Vantec UGT-PC341 and Asus BT500 (please see pictures). I appreciate in advance any information or feedback as to why it won't function any longer and if I should be plugging into the external ports instead. Thanks.

20170508111205-3.jpg
71uw-Cf8-DMi-L-AC-SX425.jpg

My setup:

Motherboard: Asus Prime X370 Pro

CPU: Ryzen 3400G with integrated graphics

RAM: Samsung 8gb DDR4 x 4

PSU: Enermax Revolution Xt II 650w semi-modular

Storage: Samsung QVO 1tb SSD

Lutfij

Titan
When you state upgrade, what did you upgrade from? As for your specs, you're advised to list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Since you performed an upgrade, we're going to see two sets of specs, one before upgrade and one after upgrade. How old is the PSU in your build?

With all due respect, why did you need to drop in an additional USB3.0 card? The ones on the board are more than capable of meeting a regular users needs.

Ru1984

Prominent
Mar 25, 2022
When you state upgrade, what did you upgrade from? As for your specs, you're advised to list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Since you performed an upgrade, we're going to see two sets of specs, one before upgrade and one after upgrade. How old is the PSU in your build?

With all due respect, why did you need to drop in an additional USB3.0 card? The ones on the board are more than capable of meeting a regular users needs.

Gotcha, I'll make sure to post specs as listed. My PSU is 4 years old and the reason I added the additional PCIE card is to have "permanent" bluetooth connectivity by having the dongle plugged into the internal USB port on the card and the externals free for when I may need them, I know this is going to cause some :rolleyes: but thats fine. I forgot to mention in my initial post that I had a molex connector plugged into the header on the PCIE card as well if that matters. Here is my old setup with the following specs:

CPU: Intel Q8300
Motherboard: Asus P5k-e Wifi AP
Ram: Crucial Ballistix DDR2 2Gb x 4
SSD/HDD: Seagate Pipeline HD 500GB HDD
GPU: EVGA GTX 500Ti
PSU: Cooler master Extreme Power Plus 500w
Chassis: Enermax Ostrog GT
Monitor: 24" Sanyo L.E.D. T.V./Monitor

I'm just looking for feedback or information as to why it might of failed and nothing else, thanks in advance.

TRENDING THREADS